Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing chains

Calais_5sp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
Just wondering if any1 knows if any modification are needed to fit a double row timing chain to a s2 v6. Are they just a straight bolt in item?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
They are just a straight fit, although the balance shaft has to be removed.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6

ideal time to check balance shaft bearing at the same time to,bearing is only $14.00 genuine,if it needs replacing,as a majority do when they hit over approx 170,000K's

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4

The balance shaft has to be permanently removed doesn't it? Which means the hole where the balance shaft used to be has to be plugged yes? Not exactly a rip it out and chuck it in kinda job. ;)

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
The balance shaft has to be permanently removed doesn't it? Which means the hole where the balance shaft used to be has to be plugged yes? Not exactly a rip it out and chuck it in kinda job. ;)

but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the balance shaft? i mean it's in there for a reason.....could you imagine how unbalanced the motor would feel

well ....well you learn something new everday don't you,iv'e never been asked to install a double row timing chain on a VN V6,you are absolutely correct pandaman :)

Last edited:

Calais_5sp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
So really your better off gettin a single row and just changing the balanceshaft bearings while your at it? Unless you get the bottom end fully balanced/ rebuilt?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the balance shaft? i mean it's in there for a reason.....could you imagine how unbalanced the motor would feel

well ....well you learn something new everday don't you,iv'e never been asked to install a double row timing chain on a VN V6,you are absolutely correct pandaman :)

I've been reading the SCV6 tech forum out of morbid curiosity. Apparently the only noticeable effect from removing the balance shaft is a slightly rougher idle. Might be some long term reliability effects revving the ring out of what is effectively an unbalanced bottom end though.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
So really your better off gettin a single row and just changing the balanceshaft bearings while your at it? Unless you get the bottom end fully balanced/ rebuilt?

Possibly, depends what you want to do with it. If it's just freshening up a stock engine, a single row chain is probably plenty tough. Going to a double row chain on the standard bottom end is a bit of a tradeoff, you get the extra reliability of the stronger and less stretchy chain, but you get the unkown effects of removing the balance shaft. (Which from what I've been reading have been minimal, even on big power L67's, but still a risk)

The best (big money) solution would be to get the double row chain, and a fresh, balanced bottom end. Question is whether you can justify blowing that sort of money on an N/A v6.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
I've been reading the SCV6 tech forum out of morbid curiosity. Apparently the only noticeable effect from removing the balance shaft is a slightly rougher idle. Might be some long term reliability effects revving the ring out of what is effectively an unbalanced bottom end though.

yeah iv'e been doing a bit of chasing up too,as it got me curious :),same answers as you have,i haven't done a timing chain in over 12 1/2 months...from memory aren't the genuine ones a type of double roller chain?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
yeah iv'e been doing a bit of chasing up too,as it got me curious :),same answers as you have,i haven't done a timing chain in over 12 1/2 months...from memory aren't the genuine ones a type of double roller chain?

VN V8 come with a double row timing chain stock, that was a surprise to me when I pulled mine down, as the cam kit I got had a bloody single row chain in it. Although I've never laid eyes on one, I'm pretty sure the V6 runs a normal single row chain, but has the two-row crank and cam gears. Just like the old 253's and 308's.