Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Cold air Intake for a v6 vn/vp

homer simpson

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
howdy, im wondering, does putting a cold air intake on a v6 vn/vp affect insurance, do you have to tell the company, i want to do that oneday and i want to know in south australia if i can do it and not tell the insurance company. my uncle said i could as he said putting a cold air intake without telling the insurance company only affects the new car warranty. i just want to do it for better fuel economy and more towing power

any replies aould be great

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
best to tell the insurance company everything but then tell em it's a standard holden part and it shouldn't be a problem. check the "howto" section for a fitting guide

doms3

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
Can't see why its only an airintake mod.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Can't see why its only an airintake mod.
Id be a bit careful, given that more fuel and air are the basics for performance in any engine!
Ring up your insurance company and tell them. Most likely they are going to consult their tech adviser who will say, its going to make bugger all more power.....no worries, they wont want to lose your policy based on that, get them to write it onto the policy. If you dont tell them and they investigate your wreck! and find the mod, then they'll have grounds for modifications that have most likely improved the performance of the vehicle. Also worth considering is that mods are not always rejected on the basis that they cause the vehicle to be dangerous, just that a driver that performs certain mods to their car is more likely to drive their car in a manner that increases the likelihood of a claim. Im assuming the VN didnt come with the cold air intake that is standard on later models.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Psh, I bet 95% of people that own a V6 VN/VP and have installed a CAI have NOT told their insurer. To me, installing a CAI is the same as changing your spark plugs, do you tell them when you change spark plugs?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
You can choose not to tell them and no they arent going to come round and check what you have on your car.........they only do that when having to look for a way out of paying out for a claim!

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
You can choose not to tell them and no they arent going to come round and check what you have on your car.........they only do that when having to look for a way out of paying out for a claim!
Say it was there when you bought it? Thought it was factory?

Anton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0 VQ Statesman
you could take it off pretty quickly if you ever did need to make a claim

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Mate, I stuck an entire new induction system + CAI + pod on my mazda 626. When it was written off, I limped her back home, ripped out the system, put the old one back in, smashed it, and then called the tow truck. No hastles. ;)