Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wet Feet

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
:ranting: Went for a lovely long drive today from Langwarrin around the bay and out to Ballarat, then down to Queenscliff and across the bay on the ferry to Sorrento and then back home to Langwarrin. All of it in the howling, pissing rain!!! :mad:

Along the way I noticed that every time I pulled up and then took off again, I would get water dripping onto my feet. The occassional drip on the left foot, but mostly on the right, and particularly bad when turning a corner soon after taking off from a stop. Not gushing in, but numerous big drips. Annoyed me all the more because I was wearing sandals and it was basically dripping on my bare feet. An extreme piss off!!!!

Other than the windscreen, what other obvious things could I look for that may be the cause of this trivial, yet extremely enraging problem? Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks....

T

trucker

OK, check the air vent drains. check that they are not blocked,causing them to overflow inside your car.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
did you have the A/C running, because the evaporator is in the centre console and there might be a break in the drain hose or its loose from the evaporator. run the car with the A/C on and feel around the front of the centre console and under the dash for traces of water.
if this cant be found then, if its an automatic should be a rubber grommet that covers the clutch cable hole for the manuals. have a look if the grommet is still there, you should be able to see it from the engine bay, look facing the car from the front, not directly below the brake booster but below and to the right. if the grommet is missing then water might come from the engine bay. maybe from the seal at the back of the bonnet.
hope this helps.
Cheers. :yeah:

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
sharpeidog said:
:ranting: Went for a lovely long drive today from Langwarrin around the bay and out to Ballarat, then down to Queenscliff and across the bay on the ferry to Sorrento and then back home to Langwarrin. All of it in the howling, pissing rain!!! :mad:

Along the way I noticed that every time I pulled up and then took off again, I would get water dripping onto my feet. The occassional drip on the left foot, but mostly on the right, and particularly bad when turning a corner soon after taking off from a stop. Not gushing in, but numerous big drips. Annoyed me all the more because I was wearing sandals and it was basically dripping on my bare feet. An extreme piss off!!!!

Other than the windscreen, what other obvious things could I look for that may be the cause of this trivial, yet extremely enraging problem? Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks....

Let me guess, you had the A/C running at the time.

If so, read this:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=2495&page=2&pp=10

Hope it helps!

Catch! :)

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
of u had the air con on when it was raining, thats weird! heater ppl neways the little bit of black plastic between the windscreen and the bonnet check that for cracks

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
vpbeast said:
of u had the air con on when it was raining, thats weird! heater ppl neways the little bit of black plastic between the windscreen and the bonnet check that for cracks

The aircon will clear fogging that sometimes happens when it's raining, so it's not too wierd.... :)

But, no I didn't have the aircon running today and the drains are clear. The plenum (the little bit of black plastic between the windscreen and the bonnet) looks o.k. and doesn't seem to be damaged or cracked. I will check the grommets on the firewall and make sure they are intact.

Will let you know what I find, thanks guys....

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Did you know that black plastic between the window and the engine bay that covers the wiper motor will crack just about any time you pull some heavy g's cornering in my brothers 304 VS. Very anoying, and kinda scary to think the car bends that much under load, we thought a strut brace will stop the car flexing but don't have one yet

R

rattattack1313

greenfoam said:
Did you know that black plastic between the window and the engine bay that covers the wiper motor will crack just about any time you pull some heavy g's cornering in my brothers 304 VS. Very anoying, and kinda scary to think the car bends that much under load, we thought a strut brace will stop the car flexing but don't have one yet
hey man.have you ever ridden a motorcycle????? i had a K 1 Honda 750-4 when they 1st came out, and blew the motor etc...(140 mph was nothing to that beastie!!!!)
the frame had a bad feeling about it, when i hammered around corners, as one does.....like it was bending.......went to calder racetrack one weekend( The Melbourne thunderdome i think they call it now), and was in the pits talking to bike racers...and noticed on this blokes 750-4, (he had the petrol tank off) that where the top tubes were, he had cut them out, and put a coupla struts in...made it easy to lift the top off the motor, without taking it out of the frame, but, it also STOPPED THE FRAME BENDING!!!!! when cornering..... also...ever tried opening the car doors , or the bonnet ,when the car is parked on a funnny angle????? thats right...you chassis is bending.... not like the old Holdens that had , like, 2 bits of rail line fer girders....lol..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I remember on one of the old summernats videos a guy in a FC with a hot red six in it at the burnout strip, he gunned it and the drivers door opened : ) he closed the door and took off again. So the pre chassis very early Holdens might be even more bendy than the new ones

S

scott8888

i have the same problem as sharpeidog with the water driping in and i dont use air con.
Any replies appreciated.
Scott.