Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MAT sensor query, dumb question

steveabbott

Stevo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
hey all,
just a quick question, if the voltages are too low and too high 4 the MAT sensor does it mean the sensor is putting out too much or too little, or does it mean its getn too much

better question does it mean it will fix itself wiv a new MAT sensor or is it something else? cant find a thread similar to it so cheers guys
Stevo

steveabbott

Stevo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
well i tried a new MAT sensor, its saying that the code is still 44, which is too low im pretty sure. its still coughing and farting and it says its running too lean, is there another way it will get low voltage readings???

IvegotaCommy

VN Executive S/W V6 3800
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Dunno, but my book indicates the code 44 is Oxygen Sensor, not MAT sensor.

For the oxygen sensor has codes 13, 44 and 45.

Code 44 seems to indicate problems with weak mixtures (i.e. the oxygen sensor thinks the mixture is weak).
Code 45 seems to indicate problems with rich mixtures (i.e. the oxygen sensor thinks the mixture is rich).

Could still be the MAT but could also be several other things.

Last edited:

steveabbott

Stevo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
my bad code 44 is the result of it leaning out, but the mat sensor circuit is still having dramas

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Another resistance eg. poor connection, corroded wire, in the circuit will cause the voltage seen out of the sensor to be low.

If you want to check the sensor:

100C = 185 ohms

70C = 450 ohms

38C = 1800 ohms

20C = 3400 ohms

Something else: If it is missing (ignition caused) that can set a lean exhaust code because uncombusted air (O2) is going through the exhaust.

Last edited: