Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reprogramming Memcals

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
Im interested in reprogramming a Memcal for a VP using some free software I found on the net (TunerPro).

I have no idea whats required, and the website isnt very helpful. Im experienced in electronics, and already use the ALDL quite a bit.

Has anyone tried this? If so could you outline the basics for me?

Thankyou in advance!

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
well to start with you spend 10 years or so learning how the engine management system works, then you start concentrating on the particular system you want to mess with.
when you think you have it all beaten you should get a copy of the source code for that calibration.
read it, read it again... go back to the beginning two or three times.

eventually it will become clearer... probably
then re program your memcal as required

but seriously if you want to do it email me
[email protected]

Cheers

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Sorry to jump in, but I've also downloaded TunerPro, as well as TunerPro RT, TunerCAT, EFILive, WinALDL, CarBytes etc etc... and am contimplating purchasing either a Pocket Romulator (http://xtronics.com/memory/pktROM.htm) or Craig Moates AutoProm Package (http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?)cPath=24&products_id=54) in order to be able to make changes in real time. The Pocket Romulator is cheaper, but can only emulate the ROM, whereas the Moates AutoProm Package has the ability to not only emulate, but reading & writing the ROM as well, and this is the one I'm more inclined to go for.

Sorry, I seem to have gone off on a tangent.

My point is that I too am very interested in having a dable with programming the chip, as I am sure others may be as well, so any chance this can be discussed in an open forum?

If not, Doctor Bob, can I email you as well?

Thanks.

CATCH! :D

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Im sure greenfoam can help you with the basics, as he has just started dabbling with it himself.
as for the equipment used my personal list of harware & software is along these lines
Tuner ProRT (binary file editing)
TunerCat (binary file editing)
HexWorkshop (bin file editing)
Moates AutoProm (commodore emulating/tuning)
DatamanS4 programmer emulator (general e/eprom programming & emulating)
EFILive FlashScan (LS1 tuning scanning)
2 toshiba notebook pc
1 asus notebook pc
1 desktop pc
several other in house software packages for monitoring & recording commodore data
then theres stacks of reference material

Theres more but you get the idea
i will help where i can but as you must understand this is my business so there may be some information i cannot share

Cheers Rob

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Doctor Bob said:
Im sure greenfoam can help you with the basics, as he has just started dabbling with it himself.
as for the equipment used my personal list of harware & software is along these lines
Tuner ProRT (binary file editing)
TunerCat (binary file editing)
HexWorkshop (bin file editing)
Moates AutoProm (commodore emulating/tuning)
DatamanS4 programmer emulator (general e/eprom programming & emulating)
EFILive FlashScan (LS1 tuning scanning)
2 toshiba notebook pc
1 asus notebook pc
1 desktop pc
several other in house software packages for monitoring & recording commodore data
then theres stacks of reference material

Theres more but you get the idea
i will help where i can but as you must understand this is my business so there may be some information i cannot share

Cheers Rob

Bob,

Thanks.

Considering it is your business, I can understand you not wanting to let the world know everything there is to know about the topic, assuming that would be possible.

I understand that it would be easy as to turn a perfectly good V8 into scrap by changing the mappings, but when you love cars, you want to play.

Anyway, judging by your reply I'm thinking that Tuner Pro RT with Moates AutoProm is a good starting point.

The only other invaluable tool would have to be a wide band O2 sensor.

Thanks again.

CATCH! :D

D

dougie tas

gee's boys lost me I've just made the cable to hook up to computer and downloaded winaldl can any one help with what readings should be for 90 model vn and how to find web site thanks

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'd say for those of you that are pretty good nerds and know a bit about engine building then go and have a play with it, most people are just not going to have the knowledge or nerdy enough background to be able to do it properly, so I think there will allways be a good buisness for the people that are selling chips for decent prices. I can see selling $400-$600 chips at speed shops being a dying art though. I can get a worth while bit of extra power, smoother running and save a bit of fuel from my car with only half the equipment you need to have. Anyway all things considered Dr Bob has shared more information than I would have expected him to and more than I would have because he's helped me out when I got stuck on some things. In this thread allready is more than enough info for any potential tuners to do chips, so if you are not confidant about doing it yourself, talk to him about getting a chip : ). All that you are really going to need to understand the difference between a slightly improved chip and a stock one is the HSV3800 binary and that's avaliable on the net in a few places and here

http://www.moates.net/fileman/index.php?dir=1) Stock Binaries/DIY-EFI GMECM Binaries/1227808 5D

arbp.bin

the others there are mostly stockers

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
Thanks for all that guys!

Ive just got myself a new laptop, and im gonna give it a shot. Ive got a 2nd memcal for the car, so if i bugger it up badly (which im sure to) i'll chuck the other one back in until I fix it. :D

- Thankyou especially Bob for sharing that, I understand that its your business, and you've given me more than enough to go on.

Last edited:

kasey375

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais 383
hey my vn is on gas so would a different memcal or a reprogramed one be any good for me ?

poida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
Also after you guys have got your emulators and tuned the car you have to actually burn a chip. This means getting an eprom burner and UV eraser and work out the software for it. Theres more money.