Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Results of Comp. Test V6

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Left Bank - 175, 175, 175 (Window to grill)(psi)
Right Bank - 175, 175, 155 (Window to grill)(psi)

Added 5ml oil to low reading,

re test yeild - 165.(psi)

Book says worn rings, is 155 really that low?

What can i expect now?

Help Please.

aZk.

Mr Squiggle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rocket
Stocky pulled 90 on one cylinder:p and 120 on a few?
Rings aren't ment to last the age of VN's so to get readings that high you have no problems

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah thats what i thought.... 90 is pretty low :p

aZk.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
155 should be fine, id be more worried about one being lower then the other, but it shouldnt be a problem. I have a 3 cyl car here, that had results of: 35,30,140 lol. Still runs suprisingly and runs pretty good, but its got a broken head gasket between number one and 2 bores and thats why its got low compression. Its a little beast, uses now oil or waterm and gets 400+ k's to tank (apparently i havent tested that its going to be a paddock bomb) on a 34litre tank.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
considering all others are 175, 155 is a little low. however if they were all 155 then i'd say it was just a high mileage engine showing it's age. with it raising with the oil added it indicates poor ring seal, what does the plug look like? you may also have a bad valve. it could run like that for years. on the other hand, if you pull the heads off and check the bore you may get away with only a quick hone and some new rings (assuming no burn exhaust valve)

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
planing on getting a new engine and rebuilding this one anyway... should be ok for a bit i hope... just glad its not a Head Gasket actually...

Thanks for the replys guys. (and maybe girls)

aZk.

jas89

Reaction score
Members Ride
mine was all around 175 (lowest was like 170 ) and me car had done 324 000( now 340 000 +............and still has plentyu of grunt and uses bugger all fuel even with a lead foot

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
mine was all around 175 (lowest was like 170 ) and me car had done 324 000( now 340 000 +............and still has plentyu of grunt and uses bugger all fuel even with a lead foot

sounds like it's been well looked after, keep it up and it will go another 300,000km's the buick is a fairly stout piece of gear

jas89

Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds like it's been well looked after, keep it up and it will go another 300,000km's the buick is a fairly stout piece of gear

yeh well it had massive timeing chain noise but thats fixed now. other then that .. only oil leak but ay what car dont leak oil lol. the dude that owned it before me had said (not too sure if true but buy looks of him id say he is right) that he never drove it over 110 k's per hour. Like its nothing fancy a little noisy engin but yeh for a first car its gonna do me fine. Am gonna give it anouther compression test when i change plugs soon to see how much it has (if any) lost due to my driveing :whistling all in all not bad for $750 and yeh for its age and k's its done it still flogs...spark plugs are a nice clean colour (normal wearing colour not black like me mums vn haha)

its funny as when i was looking at it the guy was like if you can afford 1000+ bucks to get the rear main fixed and that noise (chain/lifters) otherwise it wont last long (the way he was saying was like it was only gonna last another 1000 k's) .......20 000 later and it has not once broken down or missed a beat....i like :D

oh btw the oil leak is the sump mainly (which is getting fixed this weekend along with front end..by me and me dad))

Cogez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Series II VP Calais
When my car had oil pressure troubles, the mechanic told me that if I tried to drive from Canberra to Cairns (as I'd planned to do the next day), I'd be lucky to make Sydney. Twenty thousand kilometres later, my engine did **** itself :p