Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

water leak

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn vacationer auto v6 sedan
Hi , my mates vp-v6 sprung a water leak today , drips out right on the bottom of the pump housing , there is at this spot a little bit of gasket poking out where the housing halves meet ! , could this just be a stuffed gasket, or the water pump gone ? , the pump makes no noise when running. thanks...............

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
If the pump feels OK to turn (take off the drive belt and turn it by hand with the engine off) then it will just be a gasket. Generally, when one of these water pumps kicks the bucket it goes out in style. Mine completely siezed up, taking 2 people to even turn the pulley once I got it off the motor.

1. Take off drive belt
2. Turn pulley by hand and feel and listen for inconsistency. Try all pulleys while you're there, good insight into what might die soon
3. If your pulley feels nasty, replace the water pump with a new or reconditioned one. If it feels fine, replace the gasket only, making sure to clean up the surfaces and use gasket sealant properly on each side.

Hope that helps
Sam

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn vacationer auto v6 sedan
thanks for reply , we will have a look tommorrow

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship