Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic Balancers for VP Calais

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
Hey guys,

I have a 1992 VP Calais 3.8l V6, unfortunately about 3 weeks ago somebody stole it from me and went for a joyride down the Goldcoast and gave it a good thrashing. The Harmonic Balancer didn't come out of it so good with all of it's rubber broken away and fallen out. The motor makes a terrible loud clanking noise when idling now.

Anyway, I have been trying to get a hold of a replacement Harmonic Balancer but was wondering if it has to be specifically for the Calais model ?

Because I got a qoute for a new one from Repco for about $200 and Coventry Auto about $250, I'm really not looking to pay that much.

Can I use one from another model of VN/VP ?

Does anyone here know where I could obtain a good secondhand one in Brisbane ? Anyone on the forum maybe have one they could sell me ?

Thanks for your help

Glen :drink:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
No need to specify Calais, all models have the same harmonic balancer. I think VN would fit as well.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
they go by engin numbers

a vn is a push on one that can be pulled off and a vp is a press fit which requires a puller

so no a series one vn one is different then a vp .....however a series 2 vn engin i think is the same (the balancer) but still ya have to be carefull with engin numbers...so i have been told

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I have just had to replavce mine....did it myself ive got a VN and it needed a puller just for the fact that they are puched on so tight, the hardest part was getting the centre bolt out wiht out the crank turning, best is to leave the belt on to get it off just a FYI oh and have the car in Neutral.

A.

redcedar

workaholic
Reaction score
Members Ride
Alto Grey MY12 SS
buy a new one there not that expensive (replaced mine last year $160 @ bursons)

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
buy a new one there not that expensive (replaced mine last year $160 @ bursons)

No worries, Just picked up a secondhand one that almost looks like new for $80 at Goldcoast commodore wreckers. Now all I have to do is try and get the old one off and fit the new one.

Glen

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
they go by engin numbers

a vn is a push on one that can be pulled off and a vp is a press fit which requires a puller

so no a series one vn one is different then a vp .....however a series 2 vn engin i think is the same (the balancer) but still ya have to be carefull with engin numbers...so i have been told

:whistling suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure :p

they're both keyed the same

i know s1 and s2 balancers are diffrent but its not that one has to be "pulled off"

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
:thumbsup: it didnt complain when i "pulled it off":yeah::p

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
I got mine done by my mechanic, about 3 months ago. Balancer cost me $75 and labour was $60. Mabye get some quotes, or find someone who gets trade discount?

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
Okay, the balancer is off and have established that the crank angle sensor needs replacing, but was wondering if anyone has any tips for tightening the bolt back up without having the motor turning aswell ? It has an Auto box.