Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Heater and Fan Controls

J

jc_VN

Hi all,

Wondering if someone can help me with my problem. A while back when having some stereo equipment installed the two heater dials were removed from the dash (the ones next to the stereo). Well anyway since then the fan hasnt worked properly.

Air seems to only come out from the footwells and nowhere else, it doesnt run on speeds 1 or 2 and makes a loud ticking noise. Now there is a longish metal rod that connects to the back of the HOT/COLD dial but that has become disconnected and I am buggered if I can see what it is supposed to connect to as I think this has to do with the problem.

My airconditioning does the same thing....so once i get this fan problem fixed the air conditioning will be good also, it has been a problem I have neglected for ages now and it is really starting to annoy me so I wanna get it fixed right away.

Help would be awesome, any diagrams or pictures or anyone having a similar experience, info would be great. It is a VN V6 Berlina Series 1 by the way.

Cheers

S

sk1p

Fan Speeds 1 and 2 not working = Fan speed resistor located under the plenum chamber cover - get a new one, $40-50 at a Holden dealer.

Metal rod should connect to a plastic bit underneath near the heater taps in a curved pyramid sort of shape. Connect it so that you can turn the heat to full and cold to full and so there is no obstructions.

Air only on feet = Vacuum leak in system somewhere. Check the vacuum tank under the left hand side guard (in front of the wheel) for a hole. If no hole then work back from that to find the leak.

B

baryscommodore

"Fan speed resistor located under the plenum chamber cover".. how to i get there?

B

blu 5L ute

the end of the rod connects to a plastic thingie.

Stick ur head in the drivers side footwell and rest ur right ear on the brake pedal. open your eyes and you should be able to see the clip right infront of you. It might be tucked behind the centre console plastic surround in which case you should fully depress the brake pedal with your right ear.

H

HSV VN

ah my VN used to do this after installing my stereo. Was a bitch. BUT i had a mate fix some stuff and do a general service and when I got it back, all was fixed, except it still has no Speed 1 or 2, only 3 and 4. But yeah, the thing hardly worked at all (heat/cold etc) and it only pushed air out the footwells, nowhere else. Good luck. Pissed me right off when it happened :flame:

Indy_387

Reaction score
HSV VN said:
ah my VN used to do this after installing my stereo. Was a bitch. BUT i had a mate fix some stuff and do a general service and when I got it back, all was fixed, except it still has no Speed 1 or 2, only 3 and 4. But yeah, the thing hardly worked at all (heat/cold etc) and it only pushed air out the footwells, nowhere else. Good luck. Pissed me right off when it happened :flame:

You will probably find that air only coming out of the footwells in a disconnected vacuum lead.

geta

Reaction score
baryscommodore said:
"Fan speed resistor located under the plenum chamber cover".. how to i get there?

1) undo the nuts holding the wiper blades on
2) pull off wipers
3) undo large plastic nuts under wipers
4) pull off rubber strip at the front of the plastic moulding
5) pull off about 5 or 6 small metal clips holding the plastic moulding to the body (i used a small allen key to do these)
6) carefully pull the plastic moulding off (it will try and break)
7) passanger side: A dome shaped hard plastic moulding with two (2) screws holding it on, undo screws and pull off.
8) under this there should be a yellow fuse (inverted) unscrew two (2) screws again and disconnect the plug from the fuse
9) pull out the fuse and replace (50ish from GMH or about free from a wrecker)
10) replace fuse and reverse this order

It will take about an hour doing it very slowly and carefully with a few smoko's between a few steps etc

-dave

B

baryscommodore

Hmm

Yeh mate, i had afew smokos, its stressing me out lol. i went to the wreckers n got one for $10, i replaced it n still got the same problem. i noticed when i tried putting on the fan without the resitor only the 4th speed works but with the new resistor now its 3 and 4, no 1 and 2. my old resistor only worked on 3 and 4. so i went to the holden dealer still same problem. i pretty much baught a new $54 resistor for nothing, what else could it be? all my vents work, the blow motor thing works its only the speed 1 and 2