Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uh Oh! Is this my fuel tank return line that causing this??

shmickmik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN1 Auto V6
Hey all!!

Well due to some **** wit pouring caustic soda into my fuel tank :( i was left blocking a busy intersection ip the road from my house. Now i have replaced the filters, injectors, and pump with all new items. Now im having a problem where if i turn a corner it starts to sputter as if its not getting any fuel.

When i had the tank out to clean it i found a hose clamp? and lots of greeny dirty gunky crap. Anyways i was reading up on fuel tanks and it looks as if the hose that fills the swirl pot has corroded and now not filling up the swirl pot when driving... hence why it conks out when turning corners.

1) I was just wondering if anyone had any pics of what the internal line is MEANT to look like so i know wha to look for when going to the wreckers?

2) I noticed that there is a crimped metal line in the fuel sender, could i theoretically chop each end of this line and use this as the return into the swirl pot?? Instead of going and looking for a new tank??

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
that is definatly why you arnt getting any fuel when going around corners,
i would just look for a new fuel tank, that extra pipe that is crimped off is just a support for the fuel pump.
Matt

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
it would be easier, and better to just go to the wreckers, and pickup another tank

vp is the same, or if ur in brisse, i have a spare tank sittin my vp wreck if u want it?????
includes pump......$50 for both..

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Yep, new tank would be easiest.

1) The return line connects to a plastic 'tub' that sits inside the tank. Very difficult to get that back on if it comes off.

If you do buy a new tank, I would get one with the return line incorporated with the sender (as distinct from the separate spigot on an S1 VN). That avoids one possible leak point - the spigot is vulnerable to being damaged - and also means that late VP-VR (but not VS) tanks are suitable giving a wider choice WRT condition (used). You may have to re-route the hoses though.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
steel tanks are line with a plastic like substance to stop them rusting, if the caustic has damaged this layer then you are asking for trouble.
Remove and throw at the sod who done it, I bet you know who it was.