Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard to start when warm and stalling

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose my problem. My 89 VN wagon starts straight away in the morning when cold and will run for awhile until you take it for a drive and come to a stop. Seems to loose idle and stall. When it stalls though, it will start straight away. Car is also hard to start warm. Will often have to crank it 2 or 3 times to get it started. Here's what Ive changed to hopefully help with diagnosis.

• Fuel pump (NEW)
  • Spark plugs and Leads (NEW)
  • Fuel injectors (NEW)
  • CAS (NEW)
  • Coil pack Series 2
  • ECU

And YES they were all checked, double checked and installed properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Get a compression test, i reckon its a headgasket half shot. Check your radiator for little greasey bubbles floating.

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Get a compression test, i reckon its a headgasket half shot. Check your radiator for little greasey bubbles floating.

Yeah a mate of mine who's a mechanic says it could be the slightest gasket leak. Nothing in the coolant though. What can I do if it is? Is it worth changing the whole gasket? Its a massive job :(

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Its a decent job to do a head gasket, its easy enough to rip off. Its just you normally have to get them skimmed before you put em back on cause they warp when you take em off. Im not sure if the v6 is ovrhead cammed??, if it is, it is very critical to make sure you put the timing chain back on exactly right and will usually mean front timing covers off to.

shmickmik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN1 Auto V6
I had the EXACT same problem for the past fewmonths which has now been finally solved!

I had bought a brand newfuel pump from parts plus for $110 or whatever it was after my original was louder then the car.. Changed the pumps over and was fine for about 3 days untill the pump stopped working altogether. Took it out and gave it little tap and it worked again, albeit louder then usual.

After that in the morning it would start first go.. and once warm when i would go to start it it would try to fire thendie.. then it would take a good 2-3 cranks before it spluttered intolife.

Thanks to immortality we figured out (with a fuel psi gauge) that the pump was not holding pressure in the lines whenwarm. So the spluttering into lifewas the the little bit of fuel stillin the lines, then the subsequent cranks was just building pressure untill itjust had enough to start.

Hahahah so yeah dont count out the fuel pump! Because it happened to me :bang:

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Its a decent job to do a head gasket, its easy enough to rip off. Its just you normally have to get them skimmed before you put em back on cause they warp when you take em off. Im not sure if the v6 is ovrhead cammed??, if it is, it is very critical to make sure you put the timing chain back on exactly right and will usually mean front timing covers off to.

Yeah, replaced the timing chain so I have an idea whats involved. Took the car to a friend who is a mechanic and he tested the car for a head gasket leak but found nothing:confused: So, its either a very slight leak or its another issue. Really hoping its not the gasket cause thats alot of work and money :bang:

I had the EXACT same problem for the past fewmonths which has now been finally solved!

I had bought a brand newfuel pump from parts plus for $110 or whatever it was after my original was louder then the car.. Changed the pumps over and was fine for about 3 days untill the pump stopped working altogether. Took it out and gave it little tap and it worked again, albeit louder then usual.

After that in the morning it would start first go.. and once warm when i would go to start it it would try to fire thendie.. then it would take a good 2-3 cranks before it spluttered intolife.

Thanks to immortality we figured out (with a fuel psi gauge) that the pump was not holding pressure in the lines whenwarm. So the spluttering into lifewas the the little bit of fuel stillin the lines, then the subsequent cranks was just building pressure untill itjust had enough to start.

Hahahah so yeah dont count out the fuel pump! Because it happened to me :bang:

Thats very interesting and another issue to consider. You're right, thats exactly the same problem Im having. I did notice that the new pump I put in was awfully quiet than usual. Cant really hear it buzzing as you usually do. Will be getting a pressure gauge and some high pressure fuel hose to check the fuel pressure soon anyway, so should know if its losing pressure.

Will keep you everyone updated :thumbsup:

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Tested fuel pressure today. It all seems good and well within specifications. Also had a mechanic who's a good friend test for a head gasket leak but he found nothing. Its becoming very confusing :confused:

tntracing

Reaction score
I had exact same problem on my VP,and started using e10 fuel and funny enough never had that problem again. I filled up with regular unleaded again as I thought It was ok and started playing up again.GO the E10

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Im sort of getting same problem when warmed up ..

but never stalled ..

I reset ecu , cleaned throttle body and ran injector cleaner , change fuel filter and cleaned pod filter helped..

I was told my IAC and TPS are worn and need replacing ... I might still be selling car so have not bothered fixing.You might also have a open circuit between above mentioned sensors.

try reset ecu by taking off battery leads for an hour ...