Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front wheel bearings

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
Hey people,

Ive noticed lately there is a squeaking/whining noise coming from the front end of my car between 10km/h and 40km/h. i had the front brakes checked, disks are clean, pads are fine and nothing is wrong with brakes at all. also isnt a belt ETC because it only occurs hwen the wheels are spining.

also after a long drive i can kind of hear the noise when im travelling over 60km/h.

I think it may be the wheel bearings but im not sure.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same problem before, or know what the problem could be.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
wheel bearings tend to sound like metal on metal brakes you will know if its your wheel bearings if the sound gets worse with time. they only cost $30 -$40 for a front pair and there very easy to replace.

Your best bet would be to pull a disk off and inspect the bearing they should roll smooth and have sufficient grease in there if some rollers are hard to turn or feel gritty replace them. (dont forget to use new grease :) )

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
ah right, ill check them on the weekend. thanks for that hdt aero

STL.THY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP.S2 Berlina with VS.S3 V6 5spd S/C
maybe this

i got my new disks in my v and few days later was getting squeeking round the same speed and occasionally catch it at faster speeds but i got my disks machined(they were new!!!!!!!!!) and naturally it wasnt the problem so i got rest of the brake componants looked at and in the end it turned out to be the handbrake shoes or something to do with the handbrake...so if you dont av any luck with the bearings then maybe check that out

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
hand brake hey, thats something i never thought about. thanks for that stl.thy