Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ryco Oil filter 5.0

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Ey guys I went to gayMART tonight and seen they now sell ryco filters, they didnt have a book or anything to show me which part no. ill need. So I get one of the hopeless staff and he said he has the book out the back and he will go have a look.

Comes out and goes here ya go, took it and it frign doesnt fit I think he gave me the fkn v6 one.

Now just asking does anyone know the correct part no. for the ryco filters for a vn 5.0 so I can take it back tommorow and tell em to shove it..

Cheers

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Damn right. And don't let them sell you an oil filter for a 308 either. They're too big, and you'll lose too much oil pressure.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Damn right. And don't let them sell you an oil filter for a 308 either. They're too big, and you'll lose too much oil pressure.

304/308 are the same engine so should use the same filter. BIGGER is BETTER in my book. bigger filters have greater filtration surface so less pressure loss through the filtration medium.

this is a fairly good Filter Review , after reading it i won't be using fram PH8A filters ever again. the ryco Z9 rates fairly well. may go back to using these

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Last I heard, a bloke who ran a 308 filter on his 304 lost the whole block to an oil pressure issue... although what you say makes sense :p Perhaps there was an unrelated issue, or it was a cheap brand of filter.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Last I heard, a bloke who ran a 308 filter on his 304 lost the whole block to an oil pressure issue... although what you say makes sense :p Perhaps there was an unrelated issue, or it was a cheap brand of filter.

i'd say it was a different issue or dud filter. not filter size. i had this happen on my VH after a oil change i had no oil pressure. tried everything except another filter before i pulled the engine down. didn't find anyhting wrong other then bearings showing some age from hard driving, re-assembled, fitted new filter and away she went fine with lots of pressure. these days i always pre-fill my filters with oil, makes a little mess but less change of problems:p if your really worried about making a mess you can use petroleum jelly and wipe it over the top of the filter and it acts like a plug. also great for engine bearings when rebuilding:whistling

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
That all makes good sense :) Cheers for the info! Rep left.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
i'd say it was a different issue or dud filter. not filter size. i had this happen on my VH after a oil change i had no oil pressure. tried everything except another filter before i pulled the engine down. didn't find anyhting wrong other then bearings showing some age from hard driving, re-assembled, fitted new filter and away she went fine with lots of pressure. these days i always pre-fill my filters with oil, makes a little mess but less change of problems:p if your really worried about making a mess you can use petroleum jelly and wipe it over the top of the filter and it acts like a plug. also great for engine bearings when rebuilding:whistling

Yeah my mate advised me to pre-fill my oil filter, how much oil do you advice to put into the filter before fitting?

Off to kmart to get the right one hopefully lol :thumbsup:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i fill it to the top and then let it soak through the filter element and then fill it again till it's almost completly full

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Beauty worked out well, took it back there was a clearance on one of the Z160's for $2.50 and got some money back... winner lol

Thanks for other info aswell guys.. appreciate it :thumbs up: