Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immobiliser switch HELP...

Knud

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Calais V8
Hey, not ever having problems with my immobiliser I use the alarm and remote locking all the time. Yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to get a spare key made up for the immobiliser switch in the glovebox in case I lost my keys and needed to turn it off one day.

I took the new key and turned the immobiliser off. (Key worked great) But i soon discovered that the car would no longer start. I tried starting the car with the immobiliser both off and on and could not start the car with either option. I scratched my head and and truned the key off again. This time the car started and I drove home. When home I thought I would turn it back on and since then I havent been able to start the car with the swicth on or off.

I don't get any fuel pump sound when I turn on the ignition.
After reading these Forums I have decided that the immobiliser switch is screwed.
Could someone give me the best/simple steps to quickly fix this problem. And to make sure that this is the problem.

Attachments

• immobiliser_switch.jpg
    immobiliser_switch.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 6,448
Last edited:
M

MavVP

I know on mine when the immobilizer is on the engine light doesn't come on on the dashboard and the red LED blinks at me, if the engine light doesn't come on and the fuel pump doesn't make a sound i'd say yes your switch is screwed

Knud

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Calais V8
Does the red LED blink as soon as you turn the Immobiliser switch? because no matter where I have the switch turned I can't get the LED to blink (Just wondering if it might take a minute or two to reset when you change it.)
It was blinking away fine yesterday before I tried the new key.

Indy_387

Reaction score
Check your manual for info on a time delay, I have a feeling if I shut mine off via the code it has a delay before you can turn it back on... not 100% sure though.

Knud

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Calais V8
Getting there...

I have started my car now
These are the steps I've taken so far.

Step 1. Remove Glove Box, other areas of the dash.

Step 2. Drill out 3 Rivits in the back of the glove box,
Picture 1: Drilling out the rivits
Picture 2: You can see the 3 holes made from the drill.

Step 3. Pull the plastic area the switch is attached to down and reach in to the back of the switch. My switch was f***ed and fell into pieces
Picture 3: Reaching in behind the switch

Step 4. Locate the wires that pull into the switch and rewire them to by-pass the switch.
Picture 4: The plug that goes into the switch. (Be carefull it can unplug from the section above and is tricky to plug back in. Unpluged as you can see.)

I've just wired these wires together and I can now start the car and use the remote locking, I'm planning on putting in a hidden switch on the weekend so I can still disable the immobiliser if need be.

Does anyone know the correct wires to connect? (Because at the moment it sort of works but not quite. The remote locking works, the car starts, but if I leave it unlocked until the immobiliser kicks in and it beeps and flashes press remote I can still start the car without pressing the button.)

Attachments

• Immobiliser_01.jpg
    Immobiliser_01.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 6,970
  • Immobiliser_02.jpg
    Immobiliser_02.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 6,669
  • Immobiliser_03.jpg
    Immobiliser_03.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 6,748
  • Immobiliser_04.jpg
    Immobiliser_04.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 7,307
M

mrhaboobi

similar issues

Hi Knud.

i Think i have the same problem as you, my car wasnt always unlocking. every now and then i just couldnt get into the car with my remote, ( though most times it worked i think i have a seperate problem with this ), so i used my key to turn off the immobiliser.. My car started with it turned off but about 15 mins later it cut out while driving ( the switch didnt seem to really disable the immobiliser ??), i had to turn my switch on again and press the remote to carry on, now the red light near the radio doesnt flash and i have to wiggle the lock to get the light to flash, and then i can use my remote to turn off the flashing light.. Has your fix worked ok for you for a while, how hard was it to remove the glove box, and why did you have to drill out some rivets, any other advice on how to best perform this mod would be great :)

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
measure with a multimeter which contacts are closed with the switch on & off & set it up as though the switch is off

Cheers Rob

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
It is always good to see people helping others in these forums. But one thing to consider is when not to post a solution to a problem.
The last thing we want to do in here is give people info on how to bypass the security system on a vehicle.
I understand that the intent is to help good people, not potential thieves. Just be wary of the ammount of info you provide on topics like these. :cool:

Knud

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Calais V8
Overall Fix Result

I found the right combination by trial and error, there are only four wires so didn't take long.

mrhaboobi, You need to remove the glove box and drill out the rivets to get to the switch. (I don't know any other way to get in there). Taking the glove box off is easy, but drilling out the rivets can be tricky.

I worked out the right combination and put in 2 switches of my own to activate / deactivate the immobiliser. (I have moved the wires and the switches to another part of the dash and fixed up as best I can to make the original switch look functional.)

I've had no problems since my fix and it cost 2 switches (Cheap).

Lexx, Nice point about the "potential thieves", I'm not sure where they learn how to steal cars and I definitely don't want to help them, but The VN is a very popular car to take and if you modify the switch and relocate the wires then this should make the car harder to steal. (I hope ha ha).

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
Make sure you think long and hard about the placement of your new switch. It's a bit of a catch 22 for locating it really.
You don't want to put it where theives can find it from the drivers seat, but you can't make it too obvious when turning it on or off as you may be getting watched when you start your car. If you have to reach anywhere to deactivate the immobiliser then you will give someone an idea where to look if they break into your car. You can't win!!
Good luck finding a spot :bang: