Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fitting gas struts on vn bonnet

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Looking on ebay I found some gas lift struts for a VN bonnet. I was wondering if anyone has fitted them and if so how hard it is. Also How much do these things usually cost (ebay is a poor guide of the value of things)

Cheers

Mike

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
you bastard!!!! so it was you who beat my auction lmao :rofl:

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah all ya gotta do to mount them is screw them into the guard and bonnet in the correct spots.. 2 small screws or bolts

extend the strut to its full length tho that may require some good thinking if your not as strong as an ox ;)

open your bonnet with the pole, place extended strut where it fits at the right angle to sit in the fully extended position with the bonnet open ...

mark these two places on the bonnet and guard (the struts should mount sideways onto the bonnet, and run flush along the guard/body in the engine bay.

i'd allow an extra cm of space to open your bonnet so you dont shorten the life of the strut by extending it to 100% of its operational length every time you open the bonnet (i.e. dont mount it at a distance that will over extend the strut)

or im sure a panelbeater would take about 10minutes to do this job, and he'd probably re-align your bonnet while he was at it :D

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
s0sage said:
you bastard!!!! so it was you who beat my auction lmao :rofl:

I prefer the term "love-child". And no I didn't bid. I was just curious. Besides if it was the same auction I was looking at I suspect that they have a few struts, they seemed to have struts for other cars.

Mike (michaelgw on ebay for future abuse reference ;) )

vn2nv

Reaction score
michaelw said:
Looking on ebay I found some gas lift struts for a VN bonnet. I was wondering if anyone has fitted them and if so how hard it is. Also How much do these things usually cost (ebay is a poor guide of the value of things)

Cheers

Mike

You bastard you beat me to post this very same question! LOL

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
muahah now i can ebay stalk your auctions mauahhaha *rubs hands in glee*

but yeh bonnet struts arent hard to fit..

harder thing is gettin hold of a pair before some other "love-child" steals em from under your nose...... :bang:

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
michaelw said:
Mike (michaelgw on ebay for future abuse reference ;) )

i have you now...

cracker

Reaction score
iv got a set lying how do i no if they are any good

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
attach em to something and try extending them .. if they dont open .. then theyre shagged ... (duh) lol

if they are stuffed... you can get em regassed, or have the fluid re-filled or whatever type of struts they are, gas or hydraulics blah blah