Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator not charging, no alternator light

5L fury

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS. VN V6 speedwagon
hi there guys,

I have a VN SS, just recently i bought a damaged VN V6 calais and swapped the entire body loom over so i could have all the calais options.
Now the problem is that the alternating is not charging the battery and the warning light in the dash is not illuminated :(

i tried using the alternator out of the V6 and dodgied it up to fit on the V8 but that resulted in no charge either.

just wondering why the light doesn't work, it doesn't even light up when the key is switched to on.

BTW the car has been running with that loom and did approx 100km before it died so it must have been working for a bit then died.

thanks, wayno

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Bulb?

I've gotta write this for the 10 character word limit >_<

5L fury

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS. VN V6 speedwagon
i'll just try that now, didn't even think of that :)

EDIT: Nope, the globe works, even tried the old level 2 cluster in there and still no light when turning it to ON

Last edited:

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Is your sensor wire hooked up to the battery cleanly and properly? (fusable link too)

5L fury

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS. VN V6 speedwagon
Is your sensor wire hooked up to the battery cleanly and properly? (fusable link too)

thanks camstatic, the fusible link was ok, but the other wire coming from the alternator back towards the dash wasn't connected. Of the three plugs that connect the engine loom to the body loom, the brown wire coming from the alternator was in the smallest connector with only one other wire, However the calais loom had the brown wire in the largest grey connecter :bang:

All working now, thanks for the advice.
wayno