Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v8 engine number (or approx)

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
doing a conversion and i had another thread asking about brakes, i'm dealing with vicroads who are known to be a bit...
anyway i don't have my new engine yet, it's at HPF where it was pulled still.

just so i can get the ball rolling with vicroads and tell them the series of engine going in, and they can tell me if i need certificates or whatever, can someone give me an engine number, or better yet, just the series of numbers/prefix that were on vs v8 blocks. ie VT973477

i'm not sure if this is super secret/private info, or if people don't want their block numbers out in the public. pm me if you want.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
um, isnt that bordering on illegal?

let me clarify what you're asking... You want somebody to give you their engine number so you can tell vicroads that thats the engine number in your car? why would anyone do that? Or are you just asking what the first few numbers are?

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
seriously dude? you think i could call vicroads and tell them my engine number and that'd be it? you don't think they'd want to say inspect the engine, see a receipt, any of that?
i'm not telling them what the engine number is today, just need an example to say the engine numbers were the same ergo the engine should go into the vp without dramas.

anyway from here i found
VU - VN to VS 304 (except VSIII ute and Statesman with 179kW engine)

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
All 5.0L VN-VS Models started with the Prefix VU

Not sure if the number after that means anything besides what number (year/month) it rolled off the factory line as.
as far as i know, the number doesnt even differentiate between auto or manual cars.

Edit: I found this:

VE****** = VQ 5000i Statesman & VN SV5000i 200Kw
VU****** = VN,VP,VQ,VR-VS commo PFI engine165Kw
SV****** = Factory replacement VN - VR block
VL****** = ???? VS HSV 5.7Lt stroker 215Kw
SU****** = Factory replacement block VR-VS factory cast clearance (roller block, has no eng size cast into side of block)
VM****** = ???? VT commo 179KW (no confirmation on this one may be all VT have VN**)
VN****** = ??? VS HSV Series 3 & VT HSV commo 195KW (roller cam/lifter block )
VP****** = VT HSV 5.7Lt stroker sequential injection 220Kw (roller cam/lifter block) VP eng prefix also used on earlier VL grp A Walkinshaw
SL****** = VSIII-VT Factory replacement roller cam block (roller cam/lifter block)
VF****** = VT Gen III 5.7Lt

not sure it helps you much though.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
cool, spoke to vicroads, they still weren't that helpful, said the engine prefix codes didn't mean anything and i needed to call holden to
find out if the v8 was optional on the 92 commodore
trying to think of any other obvious questions i can ask on vicroads behalf
it came with 4 wheels right?

so the steering wheel, it turns left AND right?

seriously, for the people who govern the states roads and cars. they're not really cluey