Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing steering wheel with an airbag?

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
My defrost switch is falling apart, and I know the dash has to come out to replace it, but how do I "Safely" remove the steering wheel, without setting off the airbag? And will I need a steering wheel puller as well?
Thanks.

R

Ratty

AIRBAGS CAN KILL IF PLAYED WITH! Be Very VERY careful with it... Remove the fuse from the airbag before doing anything. Once the fuse it out you can then safely remove the airbag... some people will also tell you to remove the battery lead to ensure you cant deploy the bag by mistake... You will prob need a steering wheel puller... I recomend if you dont know what your doing then dont do it :) However there are some guys on here who will give you s step by step instruction on how to do it... Just make sure you remove the fuse and if you like the battery lead then you can remove the airbag :)

GOOD LUCK!

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I know the Airbag can kill, (as can the replacement cost if i stuff it up :p ) and that's why I want to make sure of the procedure. Most auto work is no problem to me, but I hate electrical stuff.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
It has been a while, but if the defrost switch u are talking about is the pushbutton above the radio it is held in by plastic clips moulded into the body of the switch. It will come out without removing anything else, by slipping a small flat blade screwdriver down the side of it and depressing the clip on one side.

(If u still need to remove the steering wheel for some reason, disconnecting the bright yellow 2 pin connector accessible with the steering column shroud removed will isolate the air bag. Simply disconnecting the battery is not enough as power is maintained to the 'bag for some time after battery power is disconnected; the 'bag still needs to work if power is interrupted in an accident.)

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thanks cheap6. When it finally breaks off, I won't have anything to lose trying it your way. ANd good point about the power still being needed if you hit the front and destroy the battery.

chunderlicious

tight ass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubby A6
ok i know its illegal and all but i would like to swap my steering wheel for a "sports" steering wheel as mine came with a nice melt down the right back and a F*ck load of wear... so yeah id like a very detailed despcription as i dont think anyone else can do it for me as its illegal...

cheers if anyone can help

R

Ratty

aa23 said:
Thanks cheap6. When it finally breaks off, I won't have anything to lose trying it your way. ANd good point about the power still being needed if you hit the front and destroy the battery.

Hence why I said to remove the fuse as well... Check it out but I believe if the removal of the fuse removes all power...

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman Series 1 V6
I replaced the little globe in the statesman demist switch only the other week.
Unscrew the 2 screws up under your dash just about your speedo display. Unlock the steering wheel and lower the wheel down (height adjust facility). The dash facia dash facia will be held in by little press clips which should pop out with a little pressure.

There should be no need to remove your steering wheel.

Thats for the statesman. Same theroy in general for commodores no doubt.