Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Temperature...what's normal

NZbatman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0L V8 & VR 3.8
Can anyone tell me what the NORMAL position of the Temperature gauge should be on a VR Series 1.
I have ust done head gaskets on it as it appeared to have a leak, then the radiator split it side from age. The car runs on the 2nd mark up 99% of the time, if I am in traffic or on a hill it can go as high as the 4th mark (Almost half way) Not owning 1 of these before I am unsure of where normal is on this model. I also have a VN Series 2 Calais 5 litre and that only runs about 2 marks up all the time.
So can a few of you let me know where your VR runs. I'm in QLD and we have had some pretty hot days already. Wth the aircon on driving the highway it stays at the 2nd mark, but once again, any traffic and it can go up to the 4th mark and then comes sown again.
Its had 2 new headgaskets, new Thermostat and a new radiator. Any hep would be appreciated, I may just be being paranoid...LOL

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Its normal for commodores to run a bit hot. even just over halfway is fine. You shouldnt need to worry unless it tops the 3/4 mark. Mine sits on halfway with aircon on, or just under with it off.

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
yeah thats sounds ok. mine does the same i was almost thinking it was goin a bit cold. but as vee ard said anything above 3/4 is concerning.

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
cool, another user from wainui!

My vr sits around 1/4 most of the time. Hardly goes over that.

NZbatman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0L V8 & VR 3.8
Thanks people, I appreciate your feedback. Sounds like I dont have too much to worry about then if I only get to 3 or 4 marks in the heat and a hill...LOL
I'll replace the radiator cap tomorrow as I see it is seeping from the seal, other than that it all looks good. It's going on EBay next week and want to make sure everything is sweet.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
anything up to half for normal use...in traffic..normal for it to get up to 3/4