Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disabling air bag to remove front seat

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Is this necessary ? I need to install a tailored made sheep skin seat cover and the Gregorys manual states to do this before you remove the drivers seat. I know that the box of "tricks" is mounted under the drivers seat but would doubt if it is connected to the in some way ?

bigmicky22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr BT1 5lt
i pulled out my front seats and didnt disable the airbag but if your worried id just disconnect your battery

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stupid me, good thinking. :beer chug:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
In the gregorys workshop manual it says to disconnect the battery ,remove fuse number 18 from the fuse box under the steering column.Also under the column is 1 or 2 yellow wiring connectors.(depending on whether theres a passenger airbag.)It goes on to say that these connectors should be undone as well.Theres a security pin in the passenger airbag connector.Just remove it to unplug it.I think these have backup power(in case the battery gets disconnected/damaged in a crash.)Thats why it doesnt just say "disconnect the battery"

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Brett_jjj
I must admit I have gone through that procedure before when I replaced the steering wheel with a leather bound one. I can appreciate doing it then, but I just thought it was a bit over the top to go through that just to remove the front seat.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I agree,A lot of stuffing around just to disable it.You would have to be unlucky to set it off when working on somthing else(like removing the seat).The only trouble Ive had is when I removed the SRS relay with the ignition switch on.(problem with the blinker relay)And it set an error and the light was on.Had to see someone with a scanner to get it turned off which cost me $30.