Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to change fuel pump on a vs

pervs

live life sideways
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ok now iv had problems with my vs the problem was i was lacking power bad id go to take off and the car wud just sit there hopping and i wouldnt get anywere.

iv solved the problem and it was the fuel pump.

u dont need to drop the fuel tank to change it all u do is

jack the car up but first drain the petrol orelse ur gonna cop like fkn 30 psi of petrol in ur face like i did.

then at the back of the fuel tank ull see a metal plate with fuel lines going into it and an electrical plug disconnect the electrical plug then the battery.

once that is done remove the screws from the plate and ull see the fuel guage float and another fuel lines disconnect the fuel line but be carefull coz its a short line and if u loose that in the tank well then ur stuffed.

once that is done remove the petrol guage float and im telln ya its not fun.

once all thats out and uv disconnected the lines ull clearly see the fuel pump

take it off replace it screw everything back in and ur done.

took me and my mate hours to do this coz every mechanic i went to just dont know anything most said 90% sure to replace plugs and leads in some cases it is but not all i even had it on the computer at holden and they cudnt figure it out.

i dont have much knowledge about cars and me n a mate figured it out.

i recommend if u have the same problem as i did replace fuel pump, fuel filter give the car a service if needed and should be all sweet

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Looks and sounds easy - I've got a heavy duty towbar under my tank which would be a real pain to remove so if my pump goes I'll see how your method goes. Thanks.

pervs

live life sideways
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
its really easy to take the tow bar off i done it on mine took me like 15 min

Figs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Commodore SS Sportwagon
Draining fuel tank

You mentioned that I'd have to drain the tank before I got a face full of fuel... How do I do that?

CA37UT

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs spac commodore
I'm gonna attempt doing the fuel pump myself on the weekend I have below quarter tank should that be ok? And as well do I have to do anything else like flow check etc?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I took the high pressure hose off, connected another long piece of hose to the pump end, with the other end in a jerry can and then used a bit of wire to jump the fuel pump relay. Pumped all of the fuel out of the tank before I started.