Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Change over

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Hey guys,

This isnt exactly holden but im hoping someone has delt with Merc Brakes before. Ive been having major problems with the braking system in my mercedes Vito van (2000 model). Basically im getting around 10-15K Kms out of a set of brakes. The rotors are lasting 20K at max. This is driven as a car (not work van) and is never under load. My bros disabled so its just used to carry him in the back. Its driven softly and well maintained. Ive been told by Mercedes that this is normal as european cars have "high performance brakes" so they dont last long.

First quetsion. Does anyone know if i can change them to a different model/brand of braking system? I dont mind paying heaps as its currently costing me $365 to change front brakes every 15K kms. The car has yet to tick over 100,000 and has been serviced properly.

Second Question. I asked mercedes to put on Lucus (aparently a good euro brand) but they said they only use orginal parts (strange how that costs me extra :ranting: ) I decided to change them myself today. They now feel very spongey, taking a lot of distance (pushing brake pedal down) to really grip. Is this normal straight after a change? Did i forget to do something? The resivour is very full now that they have been replaced. Should i try to emtpy it somehow?

JUST A WORD OF ADVICE TO EVERYONE. DO NOT BUY MERCEDES.
We have had nothing but trouble. The air flow meter broke last year and they wouldnt put it under warenty. They said it was going to cost $1030 to replace. I went down to repco, it took 9 days to arrive but cost me less than $300, $289 i think. Took less then 2 minutes to change. It sits between the air intake body and the start of the engine. Surely they would be getting this part for less than $200, so makeing $800 profit on 10 minutes work.

We have contacted consumer affairs on this matter and its currently under investigation. Worst mistake we (my family) ever made. As a Single parent family on a pension money is tight, we took $42000 out on a loan to buy this van, (decked out for wheelchair access). Its been nothing but problems.
Avoid Mercedes at all costs. Now i know people are going to say they are a good brand etc etc etc. And maybe the sedans are, but as far as vans (and from what ive heard its right accross the board) they are ****. Underpowered over priced heap of ****.

In the whole time ive owned my commodore its done 50,000kms. I havnt changed brakes or rotors yet. It helps being manual as i use the gears to slow down. How many Ks is standard for brakes on the VR/VS?

Cheers, Errol

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
Have you tried bleeding the brake lines?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I have a son-in-law whose father has had Mercs since the 60's.....changed models every 10 years or so and says he sometimes has replaced pads but never rotors or even had them skimmed during each 10 year ownership. f
European cars do not have "high performance brakes" whatever they are!!! .The Vito is a commercial vehicle and as such should be designed for hard work.
I reckon you should search out a Merc forum - US or English based, and ask some questions there. I'd imagine that the brakes in the Vito are actually identical to ones in another Merc vehicle...probably one of their sedans. Also search some European or English brake manufacturers sites for better pads or rotors and maybe ask them for advice - they will know more than the Australian manufacturers. Good Luck.