Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sump plug!

VsAcclaim1312

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore acclaim series 2
how r ya just having trouble removing my sump plug from a 1996 vs acclaim series 1. Ive tried using a spanner and shifter but the bolt isn't even moving an inch. Ive applied some wd-40 but seems to do nothing. I've also tried using a ratchet on its own and also with the swivel attachment but it doesn't have enough room to lock on to the bolt as there is a metal guard probably 10cm directly to the right of the sump bolt. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks.

ruffiano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Sounds stupid, but are you turning it the right way? Learned that the hard way last time i changed my brakes.. half an hour of my life wasted......

VsAcclaim1312

Reaction score
Members Ride
lol. anti clockwise i'm turning

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Shifter lol.
Make sure you are unlocking the bolt (Anti-Clockwise)
And make sure what ever your using (Spanner/socket) is the right fit. Make sure there is not to much play.
If the bolt is too tight then try to get a breaker bar with the right socket on the end. Make sure you push the socket in while trying to crack the bolt

Dinwoodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Forester GT, ET Turbo Pulsar, VS 5.0L Ute
If you are turning it the right way. . . and still can't get it undone you need more leverage put your shifter or spanner or the plug and get a piece of hollow steel pipe or something along those lines put it over the tool and try that

VsAcclaim1312

Reaction score
Members Ride
thx guys. That piece of metal near the sump plugs a pain in the ass gets in the way of a ratchet

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
A good way to loosen it up, is get either a brass hammer or use a bit of timber with a normal hammer.
Give it a couple of knocks on the head of the nut, this will loosen it up by jaring the threads a bit.

Otherwise a ring spanner, whilst giving the end of the spanner a bash with the hammer in the direction you wish to un-do it (anticlockwise) will do the trick.

Cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If it's done up as tight as you say, the threads have probably been crossed and when you finally get it out you will need to rethread the hole.
Be careful if you use a hammer as the sump is made of alloy and is pretty fragile compared to steel.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
The best way is to get a breaker bar and crack the bolt. Breaker bar because you have more leverage.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
^^^ Please don't hit the sump with a hammer. As stated the ecotec sump is cast-alloy, not exactly the strongest thing in the world!

Get a breaker bar the correct socket, and a long piece of pipe, grow some muscles and hang off the f&^er!!

Good luck.