Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fault light came on but reports no fault

V

VRBerlina05

When I was driving the other day the fault light came on but when I turned the engine off to check it the light went out and has stayed out since. I'm getting fault code 12(all OK) when I test it but the gearbox has started slipping in a big way when the car gets warmed up. It had been running fine until this happened. Any thoughts?

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman Series 1 V6
As per the owners manual, the engine light means 2 things.
ECU error or transmission failure.

This happened to me, light came on. pulled up to reset the computer, went out and all was fine.

Next minute auto feel into heap leaving me with no forward gears and reverse on the odd occasion.

I would strongly suggest getting your auto looked at before a possible minor fault becomes and a major problem.

V

VRBerlina05

I've had it off the road pretty much since it happened, only taking it out for a few test runs after tweaking the selector, checking the fluid levels and cleaning electrical connections. I'm going to get vol 5 of the Holden workshop manual and give the gearbox a quick inspection myself. Sadly from my experience and that of family and friends, you are most likely going to be ripped off by an "expert"(perhaps we just look like easy targets :yeah: ). I'm fairly skilled with electronics and mechanicals, but that said I don't doubt that if I find a fault with the gear sets I'll be getting another box. But heres hoping it's just a solenoid, because I can't really think of anything gearwise that would cause the computer to detect a problem with the gearbox when we were sitting idle.