Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Calais Steering wheel makes annoying noise when turning

emir3008

Reaction score
Website
emir3008.deviantart.com
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hey Guys, ive got a VS Calais and when i turn my steering while it makes an annoying noise, i dont know how to describe it, it doesnt seem like a big problem but im just sick of hearing it.

Ive changed my Power steering fluid thinking it would solve the problem but... i was wrong.

Thanks.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If its a moaning ,groaning type of sound,it will most likely be the bush where the steering column goes through the firewall into the engine bay.Just spray some wd 40 up into the area where it goes through the firewall from the engine bay side and it shound quieten it down.Its a bit awkward to get to but just get it down in there and spray upwards into it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I used a long thin stick to apply some grease onto the bush from underneath. That should last longer than WD40.

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
on most vn-vs models, the annoying sound originates from the brass ring that makes the horn pad work, there is a brass pin that rides on this brass ring, usually it has some die-lectric (spelling) grease to ensure contact is made, but also to enable it to glide without the noise, to fix, remove steering wheel, but be careful with air bag. I am sure somewhere in this forum are instructions to do this. To test., if I am on the money or not, turn the steering wheel while pulling it away from u, if the sound decreases then that's ur problem. Hope this helps.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
turn the steering wheel while pulling it away from you? what do you mean exactly? how can you pull the steering wheel away from you? pulling it would bring it towards you. my car is making the noise described in the initial post and its bugging me big time. could someone post a picture of the bush i need to grease up? im a bit mechanically illetirate

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
get under you car, where the steering column meets the steering rack (the thing that connect to both wheels and turns the wheels) follow it up until you can see it going inside the car. coat it with wd40 or penetrate etc.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
ok thanks for that, ill have to do it tomorrow then

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
+1 WD-40/RP7 and or Grease to the gromit fixed it for me. Its tricky to get grease into the right area so I'd suggest some sort of spray lubricant to make things easier.

I fixed mine by removing the panel above the brake/accel pedals so I could get to the part where the steering column meets the firewall, RP7 down there fixed it in seconds. :) saves you getting under the car.

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
ok sorry haven't been online in here in ages.
to explain further, sit in the drivers seat, then grab the steering wheel at 12 and 4 pm, pulling it out away from the steering column, then turn it slightly if there is no noise then it is the brass pin that makes the horn work that runs on the brass ring on the bottom side of the steering wheel, it's a common thing. to fix remove steering wheel,(i am sure someone has written a how-to in here somewhere) and then grease it with some dylectric grease then no more problem. Perhaps send me a PM, and we can talk via phone? UP to u.. hope this makes sence