Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Aerial Switch For Vs Commodore

danielj_au99

Slick
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs commodore equipe
:beer chug:Gday i have a vs commodore witth the stock electric aerial and i have recently purchased a new pioneer deck. Only problem is i can either have the aerial up all the time till i turn the head unit off or never have it up with is kinda alright cause i honestly think the commodore aerials look kinda stupid and stand out like dogs balls lol.

I was wondering if any one could tell me if i could wire up a normal switch so i could turn the aerial on and off so i could stop it goin up and down when i wanted to.

cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You could cut into the wires to the aerial motor and instal a simple polarity reversing switch in the circuit. See this link for instructions.
DC Motor Control

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Are you sure you got the aerial line instead of the remote line, when you installed it? also make sure you have traffic reports and area info turned off on the headunit. If its a newer pioneer, it should definitely have an aerial line.

python_hunter1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
just wire in a 2 way on/off switch from the blue antenna wire that comes out off your head unit. simple 10 minute job

danielj_au99

Slick
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs commodore equipe
cheers for the info had a look it seems alright have u ever done it? i mean the dc motor reversing?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
cheers for the info had a look it seems alright have u ever done it? i mean the dc motor reversing?

The aerial in my Commodore is a manual electric one and comes with the double throw switch. In your case, I'd go to Jaycar and tell them what you want to do - they will sell you a double pole double throw switch for $6 or thereabouts that has 6 terminals - wire is up as in the link previously given although Jaycar will probably advise you how to do it. Pretty simple to do.
I also have a Magna with a Pioneer radio with the same problem and it appears all Pioneer headunits are like this.
If you have any problems send me a PM and I'll draw you a circuit diagram.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
If the pioneer unit is set up like most head units 12v should appear on the antenna wire on the head unit .....dont know why it would be any different to other types....the factory wiring to the antenna had 2 power inputs ......a red wire that is supplied with 12v when the key is turned on and a white wire that is responsible for the aerials height ...12v on it means it should go up and 0 v down. this voltage is supplied by the bcm or a separate module(that is used for supplying the power and timing the aerial )..Im guessing your car has bcm control.
I got sick of the rope breaking and the gears wearing out on the aerial with it always going up and down so I wired a simple on off toggle switch in series with the internal wire that feeds the red wire and put it in the glovebox so the aerial doesnt move unless I want it to.