Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto trans filter change problem

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm in the middle of changing the oil and filter in my VS with the 4L60E auto trans. When I removed the filter, the seal stayed in the trans and I'm having trouble removing the seal. The new filter has the seal pressed onto the tube bit which slides into the trans. I've tried fingers and then a piece of copper tube with ledge on it to grab the seal (it is not an O ring)....and been very careful not to score or scratch the sides of the 'hole'. Is this a common problem and is there any easy way out?.
By the way, I found quite a bit of slimy stuff on the magnet and some of the same coating the bottom of the pan....but no slivers or anything bigger than one micron. Any advice appreciated.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Anything bigger than a micron? how did you measure that? ha ha...that build up on the magnet is pretty normal. as for your stuck seal, see if you can get hold of a pick or a metal scriber to gently jag it and pull it out....work your way around the seal, too....dont just pull in one spot cause they like to come out square.....

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thanks Ecotecmaniac, I'll try again tomorrow morning - thought about tapping the side of the seal with a scriber to collapse the seal inwards but am worried that I may damage the bore. Maybe a miniature slide hammer sort of thing with a semi-circular ridge to hook in the the top of the seal...and some force downwards to knock it out...while moving the hook bit around the seal.
Noticed the gasket on the pan is made from a very hard rubber material and looks like it is the original (at 130K) and very difficult to scrape off despite there being no evidence of a sealant being used.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Got the seal out this morning using a hook sort of thing plus quite a bit of force. I cut open the old filter and it was manufactured in Jan 97 so it would be the original filter on my VS as probably was the oil. Next time I'll drain the fluid out by disconnecting one of the cooler hoses thus avoiding a bath in trans fluid and I'll be doing it every 12 months after seeing all the crap caught in the filter and on the magnet. Cost will be $25 for fluid and $31 for gasket and filter.