Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator flush and refill, water and oil now heat up realy fast

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
Hey guys, bit of a problem, I did a cooling system flush and refill today, took the vs for a bit of a drive and she heated up realy fast, didn't over heat but heated up realy quick, also my oil temp heated up even faster, she normaly runs at about 110 c wen doin 80 to 100 kph, today tho she got to 110c just driving around normaly, wen I took her up to 110kph she hit 120-125c

I also went for a quick drive to the shops, about 5 min each way, by the time I got back she was at 100c

just a lil bit worried, it's the first time this has happned with a flush and refill, I've done it a few times and I've also completely replaced the radiator before but I'm
not to sure what could br wrong, any ideas???

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
I bled the system but I'll do it again tomoro morning any way just to make sure, hope that's all it is, but I thought I'd check with you guys, the top radiator hose was hard when i checkd it after the drive (engine running ofcorse)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Make sure the interior heater is in the hot position when filling the radiator. Also leave it in the hot position for a while whilst driving it after refilling the radiator to purge any trapped air in the heater core and hoses.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I bleed over 4 days go to work bled next day do same thing day 4 no air.
And as Brett said leave the heater tap open.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
Choice I'll give that a go, I had the heater tap open fore the flush and refill and did for most of the drive till I got to hot, I'll do it again as you guys reckon over the next few dats, luckily it's winter!!

Thanks for your help, hopfully this fixes it!

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
how are you bleeding it?? putting a funnel in the radiator tank airtight around the radiator neck, filling until water comes out of the bleed hole and running engine until thermostat opens then topping up and putting radiator cap back on?
many people dont put the extended filler neck on and you cannot get air out any other way other than over time unless you jack the front up sky high.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
I just stuck the hose in with my hand as close to air tight as possible and with the valve open till water comes out but I'll give it another go tomorrow hopfully the drive has losend a few air bubbles for me to force out the bleed valve, thanks for the tip about jackin the front way up to, I'll give that a go to, I'll try anything to get the temps back down lo

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
not recommended to jack front up as it has to go up pretty high and you have to keep extension on radiator neck until thermostat opens, hold the revs up for a while until it happens.

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
the thermostat allows a small amount of coolant through even when closed, so you shouldn't necessarily have to wait for it to actually open i dont think.