Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Slips out of gear when accelerating

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
Hi
Just purchased a second hand Vr for $3700 today and noticed something I failed to pick up on the test drive :doh:http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/images/smilies/doh.gif

When driving normally (like on the test drive) it shifts smoothly and quickly, but once the revs get higher under firm acceleration it just revs out until I back off the accelerator for a few seconds. I'm really annoyed at myself for not picking this up before hand.

The car is immaculate in and out, drives very well and is on gas. Has 185000 ks and I am the 2nd owner. I am guessing the trans is on its way out, but just hoping for someone elses opinion.

I was thinking of changing the fluid n filter this wkend to see if that fixes it but I may be wasting my money.

Also would low fluid level cause this because I haven't checked it yet.

Cheers in advance

crackles23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5 Litre
Yes low trans fluid would cause this defenitely, check it for sure as this is a plausible scenario. If its only done 185000 km's I can't see it having problems with the trans unless its been thrashed and not driven properly. Good luck.

juzzyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Wagon
If it's not the transmission fluid your looking at around $600 to fix (including labor). My mate had the same problem with his VR Calais V6, He is a thrasher.

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
ah k cheers guys, cars gonna sit for a wk now coz im headin up north. I'll check this before i drive it next, Fingers crossed thats all it is :)

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
Ah k guys, just changed all the fluid and filter for the trans (**** of a job). the stuff that came out of it was shocking, the bottom of the pan was lined with sludge and the magnet had about 5mm of stuff on it.

Now its slipping even worse (at around 3k rpm) so it looks like i'm up for another trans. I can't justify $2000 for a new one so looks like second it is.

cheers for ya help

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
sux man, sounds like she's rooted. Black sludge is a good sign its pretty much gone. Like u say, bit rich spending so much on a trans thats gonna be worth half the value of the car. A good second hand is usually the best way to go.

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
yeh gonna be looking into at the end of the week. I will still try to get the current suto checked out