Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removal of steering wheel with air bag

antvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs x chaser 5ltr
how do i remove steering wheel with air bag off my vs

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the vehicle is fitted with an airbag and it is disconnected or not working then the car is not roadworthy.Its the same if you fit an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag.If its fitted originally,it must work.Im not sure about how you could go removing the system completely,as some VS's didnt have the airbag system fitted,and just had the normal steering wheel.Maybe you could just remove it altogether.I cant see how they can tell the difference once the SRS system and wiring etc is removed.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
its adr 69 in case your wondering: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/publications/2000/pdf/Airbags_1.pdf

anyways, usually there are two or three torx bits holding the bag on, then once you get the bag off you will have access to a 17mm nut on the steering column, undo that. then you need a steering wheel puller or gear puller kit. you will find that there will be two holes with either M8 thread or 5/16's thread which you need to screw your puller kit onto. once its on, and the pullers pin is contacting nice and center on the steering column, you tighten the puller's nut, pulling the wheel off while pushing the column.

if you decide your going to be a complete twat and do what twats normally do which is; "get a mate to pull the wheel while you hit the column with a big hammer" your a twat and i hope you have fun replacing your collapsed steering column.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would have thought the part about being a complete twat was mandatory once he said he wanted to remove an airbag steering wheel to fit a sports one.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
As above.
Why make your car less safe?
"because it looks cool"?...........

antvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs x chaser 5ltr
only changing because the horn buttons dont work and my vs has air bags ex highway patrol car excutive 5 litre

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
only changing because the horn buttons dont work and my vs has air bags ex highway patrol car excutive 5 litre

So fix the horn buttons and keep the air bag.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
That's like saying this to a gun salesman. "I want to buy a gun with no safety catch because it's cooler"

Gunzero

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Clubsport R8/07 D40 ST-X
There is 4 security screws (6 star with a pin in the middle) on the back of the wheel holding the airbag on you will need a special tool set to get them out can get them at dick smith about $20 for a set but like the others say if it came with a airbag it must have one but its your car its up to you