Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Transmission problem

Twitchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Skyline r33 s2, VS commodore, 2 door LJ torana
Hi guys,

I seem to have a problem with my auto transmission.

It first started when i put it into [D]rive from reverse and i heard a clunk, from there i was not able
to use any gears other than first, I got it back around the corner to a mates house and put oil in it,
it did not work I could only drive in first gear.

The day after I had another attempt and was able to get into second gear, only from using first gear
de-accelerating and shifting it into second but it only stayed in second and no other gears "Shifting into
third and [D]rive did nothing while driving".

Since then the only way I am able to drive is by taking off in first shifting and staying in second as it will not
go anywhere in second third or [D]rive from take off.

I was told to use this auto repair fluid I don't remember the name but it comes in a white bottle
and the liquid is VERY thick and red, the only luck i got out of that was being able to do the same
thing by having to take off in first, de-accelerate shift second and using third and [D]rive after that
for all the other gears.

Anybody able to shed some light as to what the problem may be with not being able to take off in
any other gear than first - I automatically thought from the start that's it my gearbox is gone
but a mate of mine suggested that transmission repair and it helped alot but not 100%.

Any help would be appreciated,
Regards, Matt.

Twitchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm basically trying to find out from somebody who knows what their talking about, with these indicators
if it's completely gone and will be in need for a new one/reco or if it actually is fixable maybe giving it
some time to lubricate as I only put that auto repair in last night.

Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Twitchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh Beauty, will try this after work and I'll update if there is a code.

Is there a list of the codes and their issues by any chance ?

Cheers!

*Edit - I have also left the car over the weekend after using the auto repair, everything is pretty much the same but doesn't shift into third by the box it will only pass through going to [D]rive from first and second..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Oh Beauty, will try this after work and I'll update if there is a code.

Is there a list of the codes and their issues by any chance ?

Cheers!

*Edit - I have also left the car over the weekend after using the auto repair, everything is pretty much the same but doesn't shift into third by the box it will only pass through going to [D]rive from first and second..

The link to reading the codes also has a link to the actual codes.
Also can you describe exactly what happens if you put the car in D and drive off 'gently'

Twitchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
It won't go anywhere in D it's like neutral and 3 and 2 are the same from take off, I have to take off in 1 then make my way to D while driving.

I tryed code reading, worked and i got constant reads of 12 so it's not telling me anything.

Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
OK - next thing to check is whether the gear change linkage, from T bar to the actual transmission is loose. If it is loose at the T bar, the cutouts in the gate may prevent you from properly selecting "D"....and the same for where the linkage meets the trans. If you put it in "R" what happens....same for "P"?

Twitchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh ok, I'll check it tomorrow.
No R works "sometimes clunks in", P obviously works, 2, 3 and D dont from take off.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6