Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ecotec belt tensioner.

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X, 1997 SII Calais .
Hi Guys . The belt tensioner on my VS seems to be on an angle . The pulley it self is fine but the sprung arm off the bracket is causing the belt to run off centre to the pulley buy a few mil . Is there a bolt that can be adjusted to tighten up the arm or will i have to replace the whole thing ?????

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
if its only tensioner sitting on an angle i would replace just the tensioner..

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's just the tensioner as far as i can see . The spring looks to be pushing it out on that angle .

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
You will need to drain the coolant and replace the O ring on the heater pipe as well.

Might as well flush the coolant when you replace the tensioner.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
agreed might aswell do it one of those maintance things you should do every now and then anyway ;)

bounja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 50th Anniversary Ute
How did you get on mate, mine is doing the same. Wanted to know was it easy to get the old one off-new one on ? How much did you pay for a new arm, where from. Did you take coolant pipe off as indicated and replace 'o'ring which 'o' ring??

Appreciate an update

thanks

Mattrob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina
Did mine last week. $85 for the kit from global which included o rings for the coolant pipes. took 3/4 hr. O rings go on the ends of the 2 pipes you have to remove to get the tensioner out. shocking design.

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
How did you get on mate, mine is doing the same. Wanted to know was it easy to get the old one off-new one on ? How much did you pay for a new arm, where from. Did you take coolant pipe off as indicated and replace 'o'ring which 'o' ring??

Appreciate an update

thanks

All went well mate . Yeah about an hour to do .Can pick up the tensioner for approx $90 . I changed the o-rings and the coolant . Their are 2 o-rings .one for the pipe that runs through the tensioner bracket and another at the front that needs to be removed to take the tensioner off . Very simple to do . Hardest part was remembering which way the bloody belt went:whistling.

Hugo92

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Holden Commodore VS series II station wagon
allright guys just got yself a 97 commodore and the tensioner is running on an angle but the bracket does seem to be fine. iwas just wondering after i replace it will the tension for the pulley be correct or is there someway to adjust it? if u have to adjust it how do u do it?