Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

belt tensioner

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
hi guys i was wondering why my belt tensioner indicates that belt needs changing, when its a fairly new belt? i was reading up on it and the indicator is suppose to be in the smaller area for "normal" and the the larger area "needs changing". mine in at the end off the larger end. can anyone tell me y it is there. do i need to change the tensioner?

cheers Daniel... :thumbsup:

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
hmm not to sure whether u need to or not..

i just got mine change bout 1 month ago

but mine was screeching like a mutha... i dont know wat kinda stuff ur experiencing...

give us a more detailed explanation..

ALSO IF YOU GOT NRMA ROAD SERVICE, GET THEM TO DO IT.. THEY CHANGE TENSIONERS FOR FREE... but i had to get my whole pulley system changed.. costed $230

hope this helps...

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
oh ok, well the belt is about 30,000km old. its in really good condition. the only problem is that on the tensioner, there is a indicator that tells you wheather the belt is good or not and for some reason the indicator says it needs changing?
the fact that the belt is still fairly new and in exelent condition has got me thinking that:

1. the tensioner is not holding the right tension and is stuffed.

2. the belt is just a dud and is stretched (unlikely)

note: (i get a little noise from the pully)

im unsure y this indicator is giving me this reading? :unsure:

cheers

M

merlinp

mine also indicates time to relace and has done for years even with a new belt fitted. if your idler wheel is noisy replace it, now.. after market wheels are around $30.00. when they disintergrate due to the bearing case inside them collapsing, it really is spectactular it takes out the belt, total loss of power steering, power brakes, air cond and battery charging. with bits of bearing case and belt pieces all over the place. and if you are lucky it won't put dents in the bonnet as it shatters. it relly is awesome when they breakup. merlinp.

M

matty193

I need a new one too.

I makes a fast tick-tick-tick noise at idle which drives me nuts :b: