Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

o2 sensor/s

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
How many o2 sensors does a VR V6 with advance headers use? I've spotted one on the left hand side header, shortly after the pipes merge into one. The car was bought with the headers so i'm not sure if there is one on the right hand side, and there wasn't one spotted from an under bonnet inspection.

And would the number of wires on the sensor matter, as its an aftermarket header setup? I'm thinking of replacing the sensors as fuel econ could be better and the exhaust fumes are quite strong, which i think is an indicator of the car running rich.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
i believe vr just runs 1 sensor and they are 4 wire heated because it's a fair way away from the motor.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
i believe vr just runs 1 sensor and they are 4 wire heated because it's a fair way away from the motor.

Yeah that sounds right for a VR with standard headers, it'd run a single 4 wire o2 sensor, which is located a little bit ahead of the cat converter. However my car runs aftermarket (advance) headers, and i've spotted an o2 sensor on the left hand side header, which is very close to the engine. Can't see whats on the right hand side as the brake master cylinder is in the way.

I guess with my o2 sensor being close to the engine, i should be running a 2 wire sensor? or stay with the 4 wire that VR's originally use?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
4 wire is fine, vs's run 4 wire straight out of the headers on the bend near the firewall, the heater will help warm it up from cold quicker

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
When one o2 sensor stops outputting a signal.... does the ECM flash on the CEL? Or do both Sensors need to fail in order for ECM to flash code?

Thanks.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
if it's like a vs with dual sensors it will usually spit a code saying variation between left and right banks, obviously one side sits rich or lean all the time which isnt' right.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
When one o2 sensor stops outputting a signal.... does the ECM flash on the CEL? Or do both Sensors need to fail in order for ECM to flash code?

Thanks.

In vs there are 2 separate codes, one for each sensor.

edit: did realise pasted web addresses dont work in here. VR ECM Codes..... Code 13 - Oxygen Sensor (O2) - No Signal Code 44 - Oxygen Sensor Lean (O2) V6

Code 45 - Oxygen Sensor Rich (O2)

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Ahh so 13 Can mean either sensor is bad? or is there the separate code, 13 for one sensor and whats the number for the other?

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Ok would it be safe to assume that if the factory header setup worked with one 02 sensor, any aftermarket header setup for the same car would also be designed to work with one 02 sensor?

And where would be a good place to source a new 02 sensor, a quality one with a reasonable price?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Ahh so 13 Can mean either sensor is bad? or is there the separate code, 13 for one sensor and whats the number for the other?

as far as i know vr has only one sensor.Sso code 13 is no signal or the sensor output is out of range of what the ECU is expecting. In vs the codes are used for right hand sensor and the left uses codes - 63 is L/H no signal. 64 is L/H Lean and 65 L/H rich

there is a list in the forums somewhere of commo ecu codes. worth a read