Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does it sound like the fuel pump? VR 95 wagon

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
My car has been playing up for a few months with cutting out on take off and I will have to turn it off put it in park and turn it on again. Went to drive this afternoon and the car will not start at all, wants to turn over but can't, engine cranks really slowly which makes me think its the starter motor instead could it be? Gargling sound coming from fuel tank and buzzing coming from bottom rear of the wagon which makes me think fuel pump. I have tested relays and checked fuses all seem fine. Do you think its the fuel pump and how hard is it to replace?

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
The pump should buzz take ur fuelnline off at the passenger side rail(feed) and see if it's primin if not try fuel
Filter then the pump

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
Filter was changed less than 5000km ago as it was stumbling at lights but I will try what you said cheers.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
I would be checking spark plugs and leads, coil packs and DFI module. also a slow cranking starter tells me you have a bad battery or bad connections somewhere.

By the way my fuel pump does not buzz at all, main thing I hear is the relay clicking.

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
Mine does as does my mate n old mans hmm Dino if there suppose to them

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
Spark plugs etc have just been checked and replaced. I put a new heavy duty battery less than a month ago. Its seems to be pumping fuel through the lines though so cut it be the starter motor?

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
I suggest checking the battery connections and check the connection on the starter motor. Maybe the alternator might not be working 100% so check the wiring on the back of the alternator.

As for the cutting out problem it could be a number of things. The CAS could be on its way out.

Check for errors it may help you solve the problem https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
i think its the starter motor, its making a clunking sound when i turn the egnition over, had the alternator checked when i replacedthe battery.. i was thinking the cas or tps and took it to a mechanic last week... he recons its running fine and said he fixed the map sensor and put a new gasket on the throttle body, didnt fix a thing made it run a bit better on acceleration but now this is happened.... et he screwed something up on it...

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought VS had the MAP sensor not a VR? Starter motor might be failing, best to check the wiring on the starter motor first.
I check things for myself before letting a mechanic touch my car, as some tend to make up problems that are not there.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
they have them.. just behind the throttle body.. had a guy come up from my mates mechanic, he said the solinoid in the starter is rooted, he hit somethingon the left side with a hammer and it kicked over had it running and took it for a drive as the battery was flat, now it wont start again... lol wasnt the starter he hit cause thats on the right side.. he hit something under the brake booster near the steering but i cant find what he hit lol.... any ideas cause iv got to get it going again to go get a starter moter...