Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunking/binding noise

WhiteVSLion

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Ecotec White Vs Commodore Utility
Gday guys, at low speed i.e. turning onto driveway, the front right hand side of the car seems to make a binding noise, like the spring is twisting or something is too tight, thought it could be the bearing on top of the suspension tower, or even rubber bush of steering column has dried out. Could it also be the spring itself is scrapping(being a lowered car)? Any ideas guy? CHEERS!

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
this is a long shot but i had a kinda similar thing happen to me, turned out that the washer and nut that tightened over the front of the radius rod had fallen off and the whole rod was able to move freely forward and backward. as i said a long shot.... good luck mate

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check the easy cost free option first - the bush/grommet where the steering shaft goes thru the firewall gets dry and makes a groaning noise - very common - fix by spraying from under with WD40 or use a grease if you can reach up to apply.

WhiteVSLion

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gday Hako, recently found another thread with this idea... ive struggled to find the steering column shaft as it goes through the firewall, will have another look. Has anyone got pictures ? Cheers guys!

WhiteVSLion

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gday, finally managed to get a 'spray grease' into the inside of the rubber which protects the steering shaft through the firewall. Now i used a small straw that connected to the can, and 'jammed it up' then sprayed. Thought i got a fair bit up there but, still having the same binding noise. Thought about getting it from under the car but in the VS it looks even harder to get to from underneath. Another problem is the coloumn sits behind the power steering pump and would require heaps of disassemble y to reach. Any other ingenious ways to get at the dry rubber boot? Or could it be something worse? whats my next port of call? Strut tower bearings? Cheers guys.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
The sway bar link bushes make noise when turning sometimes.... factory design fault.

WhiteVSLion

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gday Z2TT, got a bit of an update here, Got some spray grease inside that section of the steering rod. Problem still isn't fixed, i do however, have some more information. Recently i have noticed if i pull out of a corner say, a left hand turn. I will hear the creaking noise, then the steering will pull to the left (like its out of allignment) until i either go around a right hand corner or go above approx 80km/hr. The pull of the steering is not dangerously bad but s definetly there. This seems to me as if the right suspension/spring set up is getting stuck, maybe the bearings? Hope this new piece of info sheds some light, cant wait to kiss this problem goodbye. Cheers.