Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Few question about VS rear brakes...

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Hey folks. I got a 1996 VS commodore acclaim series 1. It's got abs and all the safety features and what not, but do I have IRS?

I need to change my rear calipers and pads and I don't feel like paying $600 to a mechanic to do it.

How hard is this task? I have changed a lot of parts on this commodore but these brakes need to be done ASAP.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Buy a VS gregorys workshop manual if you are gonna do your own work.Its a lot cheaper than paying a mechanic,they have heaps of pics,and is all written step by step, you cant go wrong,and you will know its done right.It will show you how to change the brake pads and heaps more.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Why do your rear calipers need to be changed?

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
I have a haynes manual and I just find it too broad and hard to relate into my car. I haven't checked out the brake section though so I'll give it a go brett.

My rear calipers need to be changed because metal was rubbing on metal and they're farked.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Hey folks. I got a 1996 VS commodore acclaim series 1. It's got abs and all the safety features and what not, but do I have IRS?.

Search is your friend...http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...112733-live-axel-irs-s-packs.html#post1286304

Or... Left is IRS, right is solid/live axel.
IRSvs88.jpg

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Go to a wrecker, pull off some rear calipers. Take them home, attack them with a wire brush (attached to a power drill) and then paint them and throw them on your car with new pads and rotors

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I have a haynes manual and I just find it too broad and hard to relate into my car. I haven't checked out the brake section though so I'll give it a go brett.

My rear calipers need to be changed because metal was rubbing on metal and they're farked.

Do you mean discs - the parts that rotate with the wheels?

Im certain all Acclaims came standard with IRS.

Yep. VR included.

If you are changing discs, you will need to adjust the park brake shoes inside the new discs.

If it is the calipers, you will have to bleed the hydraulic system.

Otherwise it's very straightforward.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4

Metal rubbing on metal will be the backing pad rubbing on the rotors. You will need new rotors and pad but it's unlikely that you will need new calipers unless the friction heat has damaged the caliper seals.