Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transfering VS Senator parts to a VS Exec

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
I have a few questions regarding this

I know the exec has a live axel as apposed to the IRS that the Senator has, so I won't be able to transfer the suspension over without a great deal of modifying.
So, can I swap the diffs over? Will the Senator one just bolt in place of the exec one?

Engine and gearbox should just line up correct? Maybe a move of some of the mounts?

Computer and ECU shouldnt be too hard, just a simple swap. The HSV immobilizer will be interesting, but if I move the whole wiring over it shouldnt be too bad.

Will the front suspension just bolt in place? I am not aware of any differences with the front.

I will be getting the Senator in a couple of months, but don't have access to it yet to compare mounts/parts so this is why I am asking here.

Any help would be great :)

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
is the senator a write off? why not scrap ur exec, that way u have the plates n a real senator...

if hte senator is a write off, most of the stuff is transferable apart from the rear susp and rear drive line. u should be able to swap diff centres to get the lsd. u'll need the V8 k-frame to swap over and ecu, im missing more but cant think of hte rest

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
yeah, the Senator is a write off. Getting it through a insurance sale for $900 - huge side impact damage!

I'm taking I will need to modify the rear drive shaft to fit?

Are there any major differences between the exhaust systems on the IRS and the live axel models?

Sorry for the rookie questions, but it is good to know before I get the beast to know what I am up against in terms of the swap over

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
Exhaust from the cat back is usless tail shaft are the same seat dash ect will fit front bar n rear bar If good.... Front suspension is the same... Diff centres are interchangeable

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
the exhaust on a live axle goes over the diff, where as with IRS goes under the left hand axle.

with the engine loom, u'll want to use it as well as the engine.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
thanks guys, yeah I had a feeling that the exhausts would be different, but without being able to eyeball it, it makes it hard.

Thankfully the front seats are in good nick, but the back might be a different story.

I will be keeping the loom with the engine too (stuff trying to make it work with a V6 loom!!)

The engine bay wasnt damaged in the crash - lucky!

Going to whip the engine out and get it re-conditioned though as its done 280,000kms. Try get back some of its factory power!

All in all it should be an interesting project - I will create a thread in the projects section to show you all the progress - might be usefull to someone in the future.

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
better off spending the extra few hundred and building a 355 mate,,,,use the full dash so u can have the hsv style gear threw out

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Since this is my first attempt at a V8 conversion I decided that I would get a similar car and transfer from there. That way I can see how it was setup and move from there. I don't want to be caught out with computer/wiring issues.

Do you think there might be too many issues with an engine and trans that age? I figured that most engines last longer than that so there shouldn't be that much wrong with it (if anything at all) I could be wrong though - hence my questions to you guys here. You all know a bit more than me!