Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 auto trans reverse screwed

350chev1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2 commodore
hey guys i recently hit reverse really hard when i was leaving home i live on a hill and there was a car parked in front of mine so i took the hand brake of wacked it into reverse but i moved my foot from the brake to the accelerator before reverse had engaged and she just started rollin forward anyway with my car rollin closer and closer to the other car i didn't have time to hit the brake so i just punched the accelerator hoping she would engage anyway it did but now it's pretty f***ed reverse takes about 3 seconds to engage and i cant reverse up a hill or even at a reasonable speed on flat ground without a wierd grinding noise coming from the box and the car shuttering back and forth like someone doin a manual hill start for the first time. anyway due to the reverse taking so long to engage and me forgetting that, the poor thing copped a few little crunches since then but nothing major. i did a full gearbox service since and the fluid levels are all sweet so im just wondering if anyone knows what may need to be replaced in the box (i don't alot about how auto's function) or whether im just better off getting it completely rebuilt. also how much would a rebuild cost and if i wanted to throw in a stage 2 shift kit with that how much extra am i looking at.

oh i neally forgot i only got this car a few months back and it seems to be lacking power off the line (gearbox works fine going forwards) however my mate rekons its about all i can expect from a v6 commy. to give u an idea of what sorta power im dealing with, if i'm sitting at a set of light just in d for drive no left foot brake right foot accelerate or nothin like that, when i take off the best i can get is i little chirp for about 2 feet now i consider that pretty slack esspecially since the tyres are only cheap 215's and the tread was just legal when i bought it 2500k's ago. just wonderin if this is kinda what you would expect from a stock ecotec or is it in need of some attention (200,000k's on the clock if that makes much difference)

if anyone could help me on either of these issues it would be great appreciated as im getting the shits and am just about ready to sell it and buy a ford. (not really but at least i would be expecting it to f*** up)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
A reco will cost about $2000 fitted ....maybe a hundred or so more for a shift kit but be careful that they will still give you a warranty with the shift kit fitted. As for power, the VS had the highest power/weight ratio of any Holden V6 up to the VY so they ain't exactly gutless...Fords are much heavier but OK for towing caravans.
The shift kit should give you the chirp you desire....and remember that for the same money you could fit a manual box.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Does all forward gears work properly? If so probably reverse clutches, there's plenty of info on 4L60E on the web. Sounds like a rebuild either way.