Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking O2 sensors?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
How do you actually 'Check' the O2 sensors besides the diagnostic pins under the dash. My codes show that everything is fine but I don't trust the codes 100%. Can you tell by just pulling them out and looking at them?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
monitor the voltage with a scantool or multimeter, unless they are physically damaged you cant tell by looking at them,
best trust the codes

Rob

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Doctor Bob said:
monitor the voltage with a scantool or multimeter, unless they are physically damaged you cant tell by looking at them,
best trust the codes

Rob

goto a mechanic and pay 30 bux and get connected to a tech1 computer diagnostic thing, well worth it, i did the self diagnostic and came clear, but got tech1 connected, and oxygen sensor dead and base idle 200rpms out :S

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
fitzy2005 said:
goto a mechanic and pay 30 bux and get connected to a tech1 computer diagnostic thing, well worth it, i did the self diagnostic and came clear, but got tech1 connected, and oxygen sensor dead and base idle 200rpms out :S

Fitzy2005, Who did the tech1 compter test for you? A local mechanic or ultratune or similar?

T

t2te50

If thge spark plugs are fouled excessively I say change the sensors and perform the recall. The two black wires going to the ecu, just snip them and earth them to the chassis. They had a chronic problem with the dry solder inside the ecu braking up causing the oxygen sensor to cycle incorrectly.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Scooter79 said:
Fitzy2005, Who did the tech1 compter test for you? A local mechanic or ultratune or similar?

a local holden wrecker :p but your local holden dealer and some mechanics do them as well, i think it costs a little more though

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
t2te50 said:
If thge spark plugs are fouled excessively I say change the sensors and perform the recall. The two black wires going to the ecu, just snip them and earth them to the chassis. They had a chronic problem with the dry solder inside the ecu braking up causing the oxygen sensor to cycle incorrectly.
What model/s was this on?

Clacks

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
I found that plugging a scanner into mine did not give a 100% clear picture of what was going on. I got an error code saying 'rich exhaust' but the scanner was saying that it was running very lean and we were getting large voltage changes in gear, but slight ones in neutral.

I got it hooked up to a proper sniffer to tell exactly what has happening, turns out that at idle it is alternating between lean & rich, but is normal when in gear - weird...