Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Suspension Advice

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hey everyone. So the suspension in my VS is as all of them are old and worn. Its lowered on king super lows. The ride is ok as long as you don't go over any bumps lol.

What i'm wondering is where do I start? and what's the best bnag for your buck things to start with?

Initially I was thinking:

- Shortened Struts & Shocks
- Strut-top bearings / bushes ? (not sure about this)
- Whiteline / nolathane suspension kit (are these worth it?? I will be keeping the car for at least the next 3 years)]
- Whiteline upgraded swaybar link pin

The steering isn't bad, but it pulls to one side really easily and especially when braking. The steering wheel shakes/shudders a bit at higher speeds. This could be the brakes, so I'm doing all new brakes which I was going to do anyway. I'll see how it rides after that but if I could get some recommendations and/or prices that would be great!

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Id suggest to start with "The Triangle" .
Radius Rod to Chassis Bushes - Radius Rod to Control arm - Control arm to Chassis

Then also the Link pins from your Sway bar to Strut.

May as well do your front brakes aswell

This will improve your ride and make it 1000 times better.

Ive just done this to a VS and it feels great

oh yeah IMO Noalathene is the way to go :thumbsup:

Jonnii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z-Series Ute
MM would be good to do the strut top bearings. youll probly find when you take the strut apart they will go everywhere

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
Id suggest to start with "The Triangle" .
Radius Rod to Chassis Bushes - Radius Rod to Control arm - Control arm to Chassis

Then also the Link pins from your Sway bar to Strut.

May as well do your front brakes aswell

This will improve your ride and make it 1000 times better.

Ive just done this to a VS and it feels great

oh yeah IMO Noalathene is the way to go :thumbsup:

Thanks mate! Exactly the kind of info I was after, cheers. Instead of the entire kit for the front I'll do the triangle and link pins. As well as my brakes all round. Then if i'm still not happy with it, in go the shortened shocks / strut bearings and bushes.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
you're on the right track with your shopping list, i would be adding decent sway bars as well. im running whiteline adjustable bars and bilstein shocks front and rear in mine and cant recommend them enough!

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey can anyone tell me if the "triangle" bushes and link pins are easy to fit? can it be done in the drive with a jack / wheel stands?
Are there any how-tos on here? Help would be much appreciated.

Just looking to understand where each bush is and what it does, how to take it apart, etc.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
With a lowered car, is it more prone to tramlining / pulling to one side (following the dips in the road) or is it more due to worn bushes?

My lowered ute has a similar problem. I dont want to get new struts and springs when I should be doing the front bushes first.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
With a lowered car, is it more prone to tramlining / pulling to one side (following the dips in the road) or is it more due to worn bushes?

My lowered ute has a similar problem. I dont want to get new struts and springs when I should be doing the front bushes first.

Yeah ever since I lowered my car and put the wider (8") wheels on it, it's been pulling all over the place. but the pulling started when I put the wheels on which was before I lowered so that makes me think bushes first. I think if you struts / bearings are shot your wheel alignment will keep going out? correct me if i'm wrong.

The bushes are a good place to start, much cheaper than new struts, etc.

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Hey can anyone tell me if the "triangle" bushes and link pins are easy to fit? can it be done in the drive with a jack / wheel stands?
Are there any how-tos on here? Help would be much appreciated.

Just looking to understand where each bush is and what it does, how to take it apart, etc.

The Link pins are a piece of cake and the easiest
can be done with a jack and chassis stands in your driveway.
next in line would be Radius rod bushes.( Front and Back )
In my opinion the Control arm to Chassis Bushes ( Control arm Innner's) are the hardest and need to be "pressed" out in a workshop. ( Best left to a place like Pedders )

best option is this : ( ofcourse it depends if you can do without the car for a day or maybe 2 days )

To get the Radius Rod and bushes off you need to drop the Control arm on the VS model. So best bet is to take out the Control arm completely
Take it the Pedders or Similar and they can "press" out both bushes and press in the "Inner" Bushes ( I got this done for $75 a pair )
It leaves you to get Nolathene Bushes for the Radius Rod to Control arm Bushes ( Control arm outer's )
And also the Radius Rod to Chassis ( Castor Bushes )

search up the Forums for How to's . I think there are plenty . try using the Keywords i have Bracketed maybe.
if not PM and id gladly try to help

its a daunting job for many . But I did My VT first so i have some knowledge going into doing the VS .. keyword "some"
im still learning but im pleased with my efforts of 2 cars that now drive a hell of a lot better.

Good luck and keeps us posted