Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Cam Angle Sensor

BRiNGiT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Exec
Hi, Im new to the forum. I just got a VR Executive, It's my first car and the engine that was fitted to it before I bought is apparently from a VN and has no cam angle sensor hole for the sensor, and the wiring connector is just hanging there not connected. I am getting error code 48, I think it is, and when I looked for the sensor, I found the hole blanked off with no sensor there. I've also got a wrecked VR for spares. The engine, gearbox etc is all good in it and this engine has the cam angle sensor there all connected. Is it possible to fit the timing cover from one engine to the other so I can fit the sensor? Also the bolt hole that holds the sensor in place has been left in the blanked off cover, It's only the sensor hole itself thats blank, is it possible to just drill the hole for the sensor. I am pretty sure theres also a sensor pickup magnet on the camshaft sprocket inside the cover that will need to be fitted. Id be greatful for any help on this. Thanks

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
VR v6s were the first to get the Cam sensor, pretty sure the VN cam wont have the pickups for the sensor so swapping the covers is pointless. Your better off fitting the whole VR engine from your other car if you think its good, it would be a bit smoother and less harsh then the VN one. Its also illegal to fit an engine from an earlier model car to a later model car due to emissions standards even though they are probably the same.

BRiNGiT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Exec
I was told the camshaft sensor actually goes on the camshaft sprocket, I thought it would just be a matter of either fitting the pickup magnet to the sprocket or just swapping the sprocket for the one with the magnet already in it. I dont want to swap engines if I can get away with it. This motor is supposed to be pretty new.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yes your right runs off the timing chain im unsure whether you could fit a sensor to early sprocket cant remember if it has holes for the magnet

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Swap it all over, sprocket , chain , timing cover it will work . No dramas , VN's maybe harsh an rough but they go like F@#k compared to their conterparts , dont go drillin holes an **** to messy let alone getting it in the right spot ,just change it all over donks are the same all ur doing is adding upgrades

BRiNGiT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Exec
That's exactly what i'll do then. Thankyou

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
vr cam sprocket will not fit on vn vr cam also wont fit into vn so cant go that way either just fit the vr engine

VRjuzzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr executive Vn 5 speed S pack
hey mate i have same problem I’ve got a vr and have just put a vp engine in, my computer puts out code 48 as well i spoke to a auto elec and he said just chop plug of loom engine doesn’t really need it will just run a little less efficient

BRiNGiT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Exec
I don't want it unconnected, I want to connect it so the engine light goes off and it runs properly . There's a few little problems like this im trying to fix. If it comes down to swapping the engine, well that's fine, my brother will buy my engine for his VN. But first up I need a definate answer so I know if the parts can be swapped between engines. Jetboy says they can, Delcowizzid says they can't. Which one is right?

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
IM right heres a few links for ya . Just do it
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...crow-stage-3-cam-chip-package-suit-vn-vr.html
http://www.crowcams.com.au/media/catalogues/39.0 Holden V6.pdf : Note has to be post 91 vn engine prior to that they had a flanged cam , after that its open slather
FS: VN-VR V6 Performance parts, heads, cam, rockers etc - PerformanceForums
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...035-wanted-vn-series-2-vp-vr-v6-camshaft.html
Holden - Running changes to the VN RIGHT now please read carfully point D in the engine section , thats the first one up :p:p:p
Get stuck into it and dont be scared .
Mind you if it is a series II VN your laughen all the way to the bank ....

RESEARCH trumps everything , Knowledge comes from doing it