Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove fuel pump without removing tank?

Weza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec
Hi Guys.

I'm replacing the fuel pump in my VR and I've been having a hell of a time removing the old one.
It seems the diff and every thing else under there is getting in the way no matter what I try.
I'm trying avoid taking off the tank because that would mean having to remove the tow bar which will be a pain in the arse to put back on.

Is there any way to do this or am i rooted and have to remove the tank?

Any hints on how to do this without removing the tank would be really helpful.

Thanks.
Wez.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
irs or solid axle?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If its solid axle,just lift the rear end slightly to raise the panhard rod a bit to make room for the pump to come out.When Ive removed them before Im pretty sure Ive turned the pump 90 degrees to get it out of the tank.You also have to remove the return line thats inside the tank,it goes from the swirl pot to the pump assembly.Its a quick connector.Im not to sure about IRS models and if theres enough room to remove them without removing the tank..

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
To the OP. I have had the same issue with my VR a few years back. It too had a tow bar but believe me, the difficulty in accessing and removing the pump made it a job that really required the tank being removed. I know some will disagree. There is a small fixed rubber hose inside the tank which is clipped to the pump and retained by a crush-type clamp. If you tried to thread the pump and float out with the tank still in the car, it is virtually impossible to see that hose and reconnect it when putting in the new pump.

The rear bar has to drop, then the tow bar, then the tank. It's a crap job but definitely easier with the tank removed. Good luck.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
irs is too hard to remove the pump in my experience without taking the tank out

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
find out which one is stuffed first. unhook the fuel line between the two pumps and crank over the car. if fuel comes out refit the pipe then disconnect the line after the secondary pump and crank over again. if fuel comes out there too then maybe the return line is blocked.Check this by disconnecting the other line connected to the tank. There is one to the pumps and the other line is the return line. Before removing the pumps (if need be), depressurize the system by removing the pump relay and cranking the engine over, or remove fuel cap. as to removing them don't remove the tank as the manuals state. get to them from underneath. someone told me to remove the back seat and theres access there but underneath seems the way to go. It really could be a number of things. Check the relay, and fuel flow to and from the engine before ripping and tearing at the pumps. One of the pumps is $100 the other is $200.