Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Charcoal Canister

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hey guys,

I have a fuel smell in the cab of a vr ute and had a few questions about charcoal canisters.

1: Is their a way to test them out to see if they are still good? I have three sitting here and am unsure which one to use.

2: Any way to clean or flush them out? I realise I can buy a new one from zupps for $180 but thought i may as well check.

Not sure where the fuel smell is coming from. I have replaced the breather line on top of the fuel tank, the breather under the charcoal canister as well as swapping the canister itself. The smell only appears on a full tank so I will have to check the top of the fuel tank as well as overflow lines. Next to check would be injectors?

Cheers for the info guys

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I don't really think they ever wear out...the charcoal absorbs the fumes/airborne fuel vapours then they are removed by engine vacuum when the car starts....basically nothing to wear out except hoses to split.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I don't really think they ever wear out...the charcoal absorbs the fumes/airborne fuel vapours then they are removed by engine vacuum when the car starts....basically nothing to wear out except hoses to split.

I thought that also but my mechanic said that it is compulsory to change every 150 xxx kilometers. He didn't change mine or anything but was just informing me. Thought it was odd and he could very well be wrong!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I've never known anybody to replace one unless damaged but I'm sure some people do.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
There may be a one way valve on the Canister that can go bad which seems to be the only reason for replacement of the whole canister.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I`ll have to do some searching.
I`m sure I read they get blowen out with compressed air.
Don`t quote me on that lol.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Uber_Flacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 ltr Ute
Ahhh check you fuel filler cap, the ring in them goes bad sometimes too