Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr commodore cooling system

vrbloke-77

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
have a vr acclaim. on the highway temps excllent sits about 3 bars from cold. once ur stop start in heavy traffic or traffic lights the needle goes up a bit above half way. turn the air con on fan kicks in cools it down. not long bought car so unsure where needle should sit.

vrbloke-77

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
have bled system, coolant ####in out of bleeder screw.

BadDad62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Gen3 UTE
My Vr Equipe runs on the first 1/4 at normal city driving/Highway is 1-2 bars over cold. Any stop start or sitting in the drive through wiaiting for fast food and it goes to 1/2 way and then the fan comes on cools it down fairly quickly But driving with the AirCon on and it sits 3 bars over cold (42 degree day)

Yours sounds normal to me. I would check to see if your thermo fan is coming on and not waiting to turn on the AC.

vrbloke-77

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
how would i check that to see if my thermo fan is comming on and not waiting for AC

vrbloke-77

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
has never hit H, not even goin up the toowoomba range. im just scared with it runnin half way it will do engine damage. could it be the temp sensor not readin accuaretly

67wogval

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
sounds like its normal to me, when thermo fan comes on it cools back down. There is no problem with it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
how would i check that to see if my thermo fan is comming on and not waiting for AC

Locate the coolant temp sensor (has 2 wires - not one like the temp gauge sensor) remove it and switch ign on....fan should come on after 10 secs or so. This simulates a hot engine. Gauge at half way is pretty much normal...only when they go above 3/4 do you worry...higher than that in the red and the warning chime will sound.
If the car is running green coolant, and uses no coolant, and the rad looks ok then all should be OK.

vrbloke-77

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
is the green coolant ok or should i go with type A. Im just usin the standard super cheap collant. the other thing is my temp gauge moves a fair bit. should it be more idle or are they known to just sit in one spot. use to have a triton and the temp gauge needle never moved.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Stick with green, but not the supercheap cheap stuff - Nulon concentrate - around $30 - good for 4 years and works out cheaper in the long run.
Re the temp gauge moving a bit - this can happen if the thermostat has been removed - check by starting a cold engine and hold hand on top radiator hose - it should get warm "in a rush" when the thermostat opens...not slowly. Usually it will stay just under half when warmed up and driving normally...will climb to maybe 3/4 when stopped in hot weather but soon as you move again and the air flow thru the radiator it will drop rapidly.