Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore - Engine won't switch off !!!

primo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Yep............ it's true. The car has been playing up for weeks. Every morning is a challenge to start her up. Usually turn the key and no sound or cranking over. There is power to the rest of the car and it has a new battery and CAS. Usually get it started by swapping over relays, so I believe there is a short somewhere between the ignition and the relay(haven't checked the error codes yet).

Anyway this morning, different problem surfaced. Got her started (relay swapping again) but now I can't switch off the bloody engine ! I swear the car is possessed.........my mum has called in the priest!

I stop the car, turn the key off and pull it out, but the engine stays running.........i can only switch it off by pulling out the ignition relay...............

Any idea before I take her to the auto electrician? Given the ignition relay has been playing up for weeks, it is an obvious cause. There must be a fault somewhere in the electrics, could even be a faulty ignition barrel ?

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
I'm guessing a fault in the barrel? if so, you'd need to replace the barrel, key & BCM

primo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
all sorted............auto electrician found that the ignition module(not the barrel) just under the steering wheel had started to corrode around the connecting terminals so it wasn't sending the correct kill signal when you pulled out the key. Replaced it and all good now.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
all sorted............auto electrician found that the ignition module(not the barrel) just under the steering wheel had started to corrode around the connecting terminals so it wasn't sending the correct kill signal when you pulled out the key. Replaced it and all good now.

I`m glad you got it sorted.
I`m glad we got a thread that didn`t have CAR WON`T START lol. lol.