Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thermostat

D

danz

hi guys & gals im new here and im not sure where i post but anyway,,,i have a vr ute and i just flushed the radiator and cleaned the hoses and over flow bottle out, and filled her up nice clean water and coolant,i just realized i should probably have put a new thermostat in as i think it would be due for one, and since the water was horrid and a little rusty,,anyway i just wondered how much a thermostat is?,and do i have to empty the radiator to put it in? sorry im a beginner i hope i made abit of sense lol anyway if some one could just give me a little run down it would be fantastic,,

RS 2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 /VR V6
stat should cost you 10-15$and gasket2$
you will lose some coolant when you take the stat housing off you can just top up afterwards.but you probably should have flushed you motor with the thermostat removed as is the only way to properly flush the block.
good luck

D

danz

Thanks heaps RS2000 for the info,so do u suggest i take stat out,put housing back on,and run it for abit,say around the block or idle,then empy it and put new themostat in and fill her back up with fresh water and coolant, sorry if my questions seem silly,i just wanna get things right,cheers dude

RS 2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 /VR V6
If you really want to do the best job, remove the two drain plugs on the block either side underneath exhaust manifolds and your bottom rad. hose ,then remove thermostat housing and thermostat and run a garden hose into the thermostat housing until you get crystal clear water running out of the plug holes and the bottom hose outlet. Good luck sorry about late reply as I dont get on the forum every day