Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Grinding/Scratching Noise on Cold Start

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hi Guys,

Just the last week or so my car's been making some nasty sounds. Particularly on cold starts it will make a grinding noise, sounds like it's coming from around the flywheel-ish area.

It only dawned on me today that I was hearing similair but much less faint noises a few months ago, just a scratch or two on startup and then it went away. Now it seems it's gotten worse and progressively getting worse, sometimes it lasts for a few minutes and follows RPMs as you're driving. But does eventually go away.

The transmission was recently serviced, fluid wasn't the greatest colour but pretty good still. The guy that did it also removed a couple of springs to make a shift a bit harder. Really happy with the firmness of the shifts, but I don't know if it's related to this or not?

The transmission/diff also seems to thump on 2-3 shift or 3-2 downshift.

Ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

PirateJoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, YZF-R6
That's a hard question mate without hearing it. Is the starter dissengaging fully? First guess would be a cracked flexplate.
(flywheels are fitted to manuals)

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Flex plate failure was really common on the early V6's, but not unheard of on the later ones, generally the noise wont go away though if its that.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a hard question mate without hearing it. Is the starter dissengaging fully? First guess would be a cracked flexplate.
(flywheels are fitted to manuals)

Flex plate failure was really common on the early V6's, but not unheard of on the later ones, generally the noise wont go away though if its that.

I'm not sure about the starter, how do I check that? Cracked flexplate is a possibility. It's had the auto out of it to do the rear seal and I remember the guy doing it thought the bolts (flexplate) were going to snap, but they didn't. He does good work so if it's a failure of that it's not really his fault I don't think.

But my thoughts are similar to yours VKSL 3800, If it was the flex plate why does it go away?

It may not go away entirely but it definitely lessens significantly. Starter motor sounds like a much better option :)

Thanks so much for the advice guys.

EDIT:

Since I've got the car, occasionally when cranking it will make a sound like something is spinning out, the cranks will speed up and gradually start the car.
Most times it starts fine though.

smoknvr:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
try ur belt tensioner had tha same thing on cold start ups,when my mech put the new belt on the otherday it siezed up,second hand from a wreckers with new metal pulley,problem fixed

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
try ur belt tensioner had tha same thing on cold start ups,when my mech put the new belt on the otherday it siezed up,second hand from a wreckers with new metal pulley,problem fixed

hey that's an idea! all the idler pulleys have been replaced but not the belt tensioner, the pulleys were replaced because of nasty bearing noises too :)

Will take the engine belt of and have a listen! cheers!

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Doubt it. It wouldn't go away either if it was the balancer. When they go it's usually the rubber in the middle that goes. Easy enough to check it anyway.