Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flushing Engine Coolant?

KILLERVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hey, if I take my car in for a service somewhere, will it be likely that they will do a complete clean flush of the radiator and coolant tank as it looks really dirty and was hoping to get a complete flush/clean so i can add new water and coolant? Or can this be done myself easily?

Cheers, Killer

C

cqcfighter

Mate, I'd recommend leaving it too the experts as they have insurance if they fu*k up, easy mistake could cost u a motor .. But to clean all the crap out properly you have to remove hoses, thermostat, header tank and flush everything including the little hose between the radiator and header tank, and heater core. Even then v6 holdens can be hard to get clean. The brown crap always seems to come back.. :b:
I can recommend Ultratune in Surrey Hills, Knox and Croydon as i know them. Also Technotune in Nth Ringwood are supposed to be good. From memory, don't quote me, full flush with anti-freeze coolant (ALWAYS in a V6) and a new thermostat (im guessing hasn't been done yet, highly recommended) should be about $120-150. Its been quite a while since i did one so i'm not 100% sure of costs. When you drop your car off get them to confirm exactly what they will do,what type of coolant etc. Don't be afraid to ask questions,

NOTE TO ALL WHILE ON THE SUBJECT:
NEVER TOP UP COOLANTS UNLESS YOU ARE USING EXACTLY THE SAME BRAND AND TYPE, MIXING BRANDS/TYPES CAN TURN YOUR COOLANT ACIDIC AND IT WILL EAT AWAY AT ALLOY ENGINE PARTS.......

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I'd probably be more inclined to do it myself. You need a hose with water. Screw driver and well.. Go nuts.

20 dollars to do it yourself.

C

cqcfighter

you are right bextor84, you can make it a lot cheaper by doing it yourself, f*ck'n :air: ,
i just wouldn't recommend killer d.i.y. his vs because he doesn't sound like he would be confident bleeding the air from the coolant etc, when he's going to a mechanic for a service. (no offence intended, killervs. it can be harder than it sounds.)
i wouldn't want to be the one encouraging him to do it only to find out later he's killed his engine or even just damaged something. unlike brakes, its unlikely you'll die if you make a mistake, but your car might...

Killer,its up to you.. If you're sure you can do it right, go for it!
Hopefully thats clarified my thoughts without offending anyone..

KILLERVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Yer i'd like to do it myself but I'm not to mechanically minded so I'd raher leave it to the experts, so thanks for the help. Would a local mechanic (one we have attended for years) be able to do this for me, I'll give him a buzz see what he can do?

Cheers, Killer

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Yeah, Just go in and say that you think the coolant needs a flush, should only take him 30 minutes max.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
sheesh make it sound like brain surgery CQC!!!! more like putting a bandaide on a scratch lol!

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
vlv8vic said:
sheesh make it sound like brain surgery CQC!!!! more like putting a bandaide on a scratch lol!

Actually when you see how the pro's do it.....It's more like open heart surgery when they unhook the hoses and attach a Backflush machine...it does look kinda like clapping the viens up on a patient...LOL

N

narcho

Coolant flush

Do not forget the 3 pills to lube the water pump. They are pretty cheap. About $6.00 tops. And use GOOD QUALITY coolant. Takes about an hour.

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
hey guys stupid question. how does it **** up the engine?