Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wheel bearing gone?

W

walace

just wondering what it cost to get wheel bearing done and what a mini spool does for the diff?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Front or rear?

W

walace

its in the rear end.. and whats a mini spool and anyway 2 make the diff a lsd with out changing it?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Do a GOOGLE search for 'mini spool' and all will be revealed. Re the bearing, the biggest cost will be labour as the bearings are usually under $20 each but the axle has to be pulled and the bearing pressed on/off etc.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
or a different way of explaining it

a LSD will use little clutches to help stop one wheel spinning while the other does nothing [like say you turn and boot it the inside wheel will fry while the outside will do nothing, with LSD it'll stop them spinning independantly to a point.

a mini spool is a straight lock of the diff. they are simpler than a LSD [no clutches] and dont wear out [as far as i know, stealthy, correct me here if applicable]

the downside is that if you were goign to use your car on a circuit a lsd would allow a little wheel difference to occur [such as cornering where the difference is normal] a minispool will not allow this to happen so one or both of the wheels may skip or vibrate a little. once again i call on stealthy's experience.

*bows down*

oh wise spooler enlighten us! does hard acceleration around a corner [controled so as not to begin a slide or drift] cause any skipping or otherwise effects?

C

CalaisVKiller

I thought minispools were illeagal. Basically they lock both so they spin together great for two wheel burnouts . But they are highly dangerous in high speed corners (taking them too fast) which is why they're probably illegal

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
Yep, illegal.